Thursday, June 14, 2018

Throwback Thursday

With Father's Day arriving this weekend, I wanted to pay homage to my dad.  He was an alcoholic, and sadly, we never did have a good relationship. I don't know, perhaps I was a disappointment to him.  I was an only child, and I remember every Christmas dad would buy me a boy's toy....a truck, soldiers, etc.  I always wondered if he was disappointed that his only child was a girl. 
Dad, on the bottom, and a few of his friends.
Dad, on the right, and his twin.
Dad in the Army.
 Dad in the Army.
 Dad holding me in my grandparents' front yard.

 Dad with Tiny.
 Dad and me.  I guess I was about 14.
That's dad on the end, thin with gray hair.
Dad's grave.

I'm sorry dad.  Sorry that we missed out on so much.  Sorry because I know you couldn't help yourself.  You had a disease both physically and emotionally.  I miss you.  Wish I had had that chance to tell you I forgive you and love you.  But I know that you are watching over me now.  I feel that in my heart.  You know. 

6 comments:

  1. Memories are so often bittersweet, aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post and tribute to your dad. I am sure he loved you. Sometimes family has a hard time actually showing it for some reason. Alcohol does make you a different person than you truly are. But you are right, he is watching over you always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was my mother who was the alcoholic. And yes, I often felt I was a disappointment to her. Perhaps it is something which goes with the illness.
    A lovely tribute to your father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you are right, Mary. Your dad does resemble Elvis on the one pic! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! Your dad missed out on a great gal with his disease and notions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely tribute to your father!
    It's hard what we have to go through in families. I'm sure your father loved you!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete