Thursday, June 28, 2018

Throwback Thursday

This is what happens when you retire.  You lose all track of time.  It's as if it doesn't exist.  One day runs into the next.  Keeping busy and having a set schedule such as Monday and Wednesday exercise,  Thursday WW meeting, and Sunday church pretty much keeps my days straight.. although I don't know what it is about Thursday.  For some reason by the time it gets to evening, I'm thinking its Friday.  And any special events planned?  Aside from family stuff which I so look forward to, I tend to forget things.  Sadly, I missed the Mermaid Parade this year.  Didn't realize that June 16th had already passed.  And then...

...a few months ago my neighborhood had scheduled an early evening protest against gentrification in Sunset Park.  I had planned on participating in this event for nearly a month.  Ate an early dinner and then headed on over to the park.  Took two buses to get there.  I was so excited to be a part of this.  Back in the 60's I was out there marching for women's rights, but during my work years that part of me lay dormant.  Oh, I did what I could by signing petitions, calling representatives, etc, but between work and my increasing back pain, I hadn't been participating in any protests.  This, plus the fact that I myself am feeling the pressure to leave my neighborhood, had me all revved up for an evening of excitement.  But what happens????

I arrived and NO ONE WAS THERE.   Was I in the wrong place?  I walked through the entire park, but no rally.   Frustrated,  I sat on a bench and took out my phone, found the FB page of  the organization that was hosting the rally, and what did I discover?  I WAS A DAY LATE.  THE PROTEST HAD BEEN HELD THE NIGHT BEFORE.   I'd lost track of my days.    But, all was not lost.  I figured since I was there I might as make the best of it.  Bought an ice cream from Mr. Softie and sat on one of the benches people watching.   Sat there until dusk began to fall, then headed on home.  Some pictures from that night.






7 comments:

  1. Well, at least you got a relaxing evening and an ice cream cone out of it, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to keep track of days when you retire. Everyday is Saturday and the time of day seldom matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it is nice to just sit, relax and enjoy the view! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lose track of my days too. In fact, until I read this I was thinking it was Friday! :-)

    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is Friday here. And looks like being a busy one.
    Love that your took some time to enjoy the view. And I have trouble with the days too. Retirement blurs them together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been so messed up this week because I was off work on Monday...that messes with me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pictures in the park! Hope you enjoyed your ice cream! I lose track of time too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete