Monday, June 11, 2018

Monday This and That

Good morning.  A new week begins.  My weekend was fairly quiet.  I stayed true to my word and got my butt dress and out the door for a walk on both Friday and Saturday.  On Sunday I decided I was going to walk it to church again.  My back started aching about 2 blocks from church, but I kept going.  Can't give in to the pain.  It wins when you do that.  Besides, after 71 years I know my body, know when I can push it and know when I can't.  

On Friday a woman got on the bus and sat near me, striking up a conversation.  She spoke about having some surgery on her head and was wondering how her hair looked.  She said she had just gotten it cut so she could fluff it up and hide the scars.  She kept saying that 'he'll only see them if he is tall', so I assumed she might be headed on blind date.  She was obviously meeting someone she didn't know.  Well, we talked for awhile, and I assured her she looked great.  Actually, I loved her hair cut and wish I had the natural waves that she had.  As we neared my stop she said, "Thank you for smiling.  You made my day." The feeling was mutual.  When she said that, she made my day.

That's exactly why I prefer the buses to subways.  Not only are you above ground, but people aren't so friendly on the subway.  Maybe it's an underground sort of thing?   On buses, there is always someone eager to strike up a conversation, and after riding the same buses at the same time every day, you get to know a series of regulars who ride with you.  Even if it's just a "Good morning" and a smile, it makes you feel good....and somehow less lonely.

So I've been busy trying to put together a diabetic menu for Ralph.  His last blood test showed that his pre-diabetes has progressed to diabetes.  Not easy to plan meals for when you have a Dominican who was raised on rice and beans. He has agreed to less rice, 1% milk, no more ice cream sundaes, cut the sodas, and eat more vegetables.  That's a start.  I ordered a diabetic cookbook from Amazon and these recipes look so good that I am going to eat them as well.  
 I think with a healthier diet and a bit more exercise we can reverse it.  

It was time for a coloring so I decided to go a bit darker as the lighter auburn washes out too quickly and I turn blond again.  I was always under the impression that one must go lighter as she gets older, but that is so not true.  Blonde had me looking faded and much older.  A little color brings the brightness to my face.  

Today I am off to my classes.   Still not ready for the Monday qigong.  This leader is far too tough, but I will get there in time for dance and meditation and then spend the afternoon in arts and crafts.  It feels so good to get back in the groove again.  I was beginning to wonder if this pain would ever let up.  Life is good.

My oracle card for the day.  How appropriate.
 From the Conscious Spirit Oracle Deck

Have a good one.

6 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right, Mary. You can not let the pain win! I admire your positive thinking and your energy.

    I imagine taking the subway would make most people feel dark and drab because of the lack of brightness? I think I would prefer the bus as well.

    The oracle card is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats for your walking this weekend! Great job.

    Isn’t it amazing what a simple smile can do to somebody… Give them confidence brighten their day, make them smile. I’m glad you were there for that girl before her blind date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's rare to make contact with the multitude of strangers we intermingle with daily, everyone intent of their task, their goal, their satisfaction, stay on the bus *smiles* and love the hair, you look radiant

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect that ALL of us would benefit from following that diet.
    Have a wonderful (pain free) week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a good weekend! Good luck to Ralph with his diabetes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you walking! I'm proud of you! Nice conversation you had on the bus! You are so right about everything! All the best to your hubby! You look great in your picture! Love the colour! The oracle card is perfect! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete