Friday, June 8, 2018

Friday Roundup

Well, another Friday has arrived.  Been kind of an uneventful week here.  Monday I woke up to heavy rain, wind, and and cool temperatures.  Made a decision to skip classes rather than stand at at the bus stops in the pouring rain.  None of them have any shelter, so with the wind?  I'd be a drowned rat before I got there.  Besides, the weather was making my body ache.  Speaking of pain, sometimes I wonder if I brought this on myself.  Questions I was asking myself were: Was I overdoing it?  Is that why this happened?  And will it go away?  It's been over a month now and not just my back.  My body hurts all over.  

Tuesday was banking day.  Went to two different banks in two different directions.  I have a small estate account in one bank which I could close out and open in my regular bank, but banks are funny with these estate accounts.  Not only would I NOT be able to put the cash from the bank into my new account--I get small residual checks from my ex who was an actor--but I would also have to show them so much paperwork.  As I recall, birth certificate, marriage certificate, social security card, death certificate, etc.  It was a pain in the butt opening that account.  Then, too, with it further away (in my old neighborhood), I'm not so tempted to be drawing money out.  That's another thing.  It's a checking account, but I don't get a debit card with it.  Have to stand in line for all transactions

Fagiolini in umido for dinner Thursday night.  Fresh string beans, potatoes, can of diced tomatoes, basil,  garlic, red onion, olive oil, salt and pepper. Yummy with a grilled pork chop.  First pork chop I had in a month.  Had a good weigh-in on Thursday, and this was my celebration meal.  This was a month that taught me a lesson.  Don't take Lifetime for granted.  It's easy to gain the weight back, but not so easy to maintain the loss.

Oh, before I forget, I enrolled in a certificate course on elder abuse.  Maybe I can volunteer some place.  My life is active, and I participate in plenty of activities, but I feel as if I am missing something.  I worked in the helping professions for so many years it's hard to let it go.  It's been 4 years retired now, and that urge is still there.  But I don't want to go back into substance abuse.  Besides, I let my license lapse, and it would cost me a pretty penny to re-instate it.   Can't afford that.  But maybe I could do something with this certification.  Even if I only volunteer once a week.

Wednesday I went back to class and participated, for the first time in over a month, a full hour of qigong.  Then, in dance class I learned how to do the Soca.  I did as much as I could, but to be honest, it was a bit too fast for me.  My feet just wouldn't keep up.  I was so overjoyed that I was able to participate again.  Guess this is just going to be how it is--extreme flares mixed with good days.  Just something I have to deal with.

I've also started tracking steps again and plan on a morning walk every day even if I have no place to go. Yesterday I got off the bus 8 blocks before my WW stop so I could get the walk in. I'm up now to a little over 4,000 steps a day and hopefully soon will be up to 10,000 again.   Problem there is my step tracker bracelet broke, and I don't know how to hook up the one my son gave me, so I am using a tracker on my cell phone.  If I have a bra on I keep it there, but when I don't I forget sometimes to carry it with me and lose out on steps.



6 comments:

  1. I love how you are slowly rebuilding your steps! That’s awesome progress.

    I think the elder abuse certification will be a wonderful way to give to the community, volunteer, and help others. Kudos to you for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your weigh-in went well! And mmm, that fagiolini looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see your new posts again ... YAY!!! ;)

    Banks have become the biggest pain in the last couple of decades or so. I used to work at one many years ago in the mid-80's - hate dealing with them now anymore personally speaking, but what can you do?

    I say go for it with your certificate, you can do it!

    That recipe looks y-u-m-m-y!! I am a fairly picky eater but I love everything in this meal. A must try for sure.

    I think it is great that you can dance! Me? Well, let's just say I have two left feet LOL!!!!

    Have a wonderful weekend, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And your last paragraph is why I refse to buy pants, even workout pants or yoga pants without pockets, my friend. (yes, they do make em all with pickets, you just gotta look). Why is it that they would never make a mans pair of pants without even an inside pocket bt they figure women can survive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear that the weigh in went well.
    Why is it that banks make it so very difficult to access our own money. Not theirs, ours...
    Here in Australia there is a major investigation into bank behaviour underway. And some horrors are being uncovered. Self serving, unethical and sometimes borderline criminal behaviour is being uncovered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you about your stepping! If you have a bra on? LOL! Congrats with your good weigh in! Your meal looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete