Friday, June 15, 2018

Friday Roundup

Happy Friday wishes to all.  Been a busy week for me.  So glad I was feeling better so I was really able to enjoy it.  I just have to realize these flares will come and go and find constructive ways to deal with them.  I think I did pretty good with this last one, and let me tell you, it was doozy.  The worst ever.  When it hits your feet, you know you got it bad.  

Noticed these blooms in front of our building.
On Tuesday I was an almost victim--two times.  I was on my way home from my daily walk.  It was about 10 am, and the usually busy sidewalk was devoid of people...except for two men walking ahead of me.  One was a chubby Spanish guy with a striped shirt, the other a very thin darker Spanish guy in a black hoodie, the hood pulled up. I was about halfway down the block when they crossed the street.  The guy in the hoodie turns, sees me, and says something to striped shirt.  They take a few more steps.  Hoodie turns again. Then, striped shirt ducks into the doorway of the building on the corner.  Hoodie takes a few more steps and ducks into the building's garage entrance.  Both were then out of sight. It was obvious that they were hiding. Luckily,  just as the light changes a Chinese girl arrives and crosses the street directly behind me. They hadn't seen her from their angle.  I walk in the middle of the sidewalk  so she can't pass me by. Out of the corner of my eye I see them watching as we pass.  They then step out and start out behind us, walking real fast to pass us. I do believe they were planning something, but she came along. Scary thought right on my own block.  It hit me yesterday that what would have happened would be one would be behind me and one in front of me when they jumped out.  I wouldn't have had a chance.

Later in the  I get a message from Google saying that someone in China had my password and was trying to log into my account.  They blocked it.  Had to change my password and make sure all security was in place.  Imagine that.  I didn't even know my password, and they had it.  

On Wednesday evening I participated in an online class--The Shadow of the Mermaid with Kai Elliot.  I have to say it was excellent.  It's part of a week long video summit called 'Summer of Magic'.  That one I have saved to watch again.  What an amazing woman.   Bedridden 22 hours a day, she suffers from Danlos Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder.  But, oh, what a positive attitude and how much good she does for others.

I have also signed up for  'Woman Unleashed', an online retreat to unleash your personal power.  That's due to begin on June 20th and last until the 30th.  Can't wait.  These free online seminars are a great.  I always participate in them.

We mostly eat out on Thursday nights, a habit we got when we were both working.  Thursday was my late night.  I got off work at 7 and didn't get home until after 8.  Who wants to cook then?  So hubby, who also had it as a late night, always stopped at work to buy us take out.  Now retired we just sit back and order in.  Haven't for the past couple of weeks though because our one of our favorite restaurants closed its doors and we haven't been pleased lately with another one we order from.  The third we order from is a chicken place and just don't want to order from there every week, so until we find some new places to order, I've been doing some cooking.  Last night I made a huge pot of Sancocho.  

6 skinless chicken thighs
Carrots
Le Fay frozen Sancocho vegetables

2 potatoes, cut in quarters 
Le Fay frozen Sancocho vegetables
2 potatoes, cut in quarters
Onion
Garlic
Cilantro
Cumin
Spanish oregano
1/2 cup Recaito
Sodium free chicken broth
Salt and Pepper
Water

Heat oil and brown chicken. Add garlic and onions; cook until soft. Add broth, Recaito, water, potatoes, frozen veggies, and  cilantro.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Bring to boil and simmer until done.
My quirky avocado plant.  One day after finishing up our avocado I stuck it in an empty pot just for the heck of it.  I watered that darn thing for over a month, but nothing, so I shoved the pot under the little table next to my rocker.  About a month later I'm sitting there, and I see a stick pointing up.  "What the heck is that?"  I wondered.  I looked, and lo and behold, the plant was growing.  Hadn't been watered in a month.  It's actually to tall sticks with leaves on the end.  The stems alone are too weak to hold it up so that's why the ties are on there.  It certainly won't bring any avocados, but it's been an adventure.

Have a great weekend.




4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you weren't victimized, Mary! That avocado plant is amazing and quite attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a scary thing to go through! I can not imagine how helpless that feels. Good thing that you were aware of you surroundings.

    That mermaid class sounds awesome! The recipe look good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you were aware and stayed safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have to be aware of everything around us! It's scary! So glad nothing happened! Love your avocado plant! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete