Thursday, April 1, 2010

And Just When I Thought it was Over

Good morning to all of you out there in Blogland.  Wow, the sun is shining and the temperature is starting to warm up.  It's such a beautiful day out there.  Kind of day you want to spend some time outdoors, but actually, right about now I would be happy just to be able to climb into bed and pull the covers up over my head.  Haven't had a wink of sleep.  Yesterday as I was leaving for work, the men from Con Ed and Verizon were pulling up.  Seems as if what was done Saturday was only a temporary fix.  Now, they have to dig everything up and reinforce the wires.  I know when I lived in the country, we had telephone poles and everything was up above; here, in the city, everything is below.  

Well, to make a long story short, they worked throughout the night.  It must have been pretty serious for as many years as I have lived in the city, I have never seen these crews work past 7 or 8 pm. I must have finally fallen asleep at about 4 am, thinking I could get about 4 hours of sleep.  (Today is my late day).  But, at 7 those big machines started again...and that was the end of it.  I really wanted to stay home, but I had an important message for a client.

You know, in my 63 years I've accumulated a lot of useful and useless info which I'd like to pass on...if you don't mind.  Serious stuff is just my cup of tea today. The following comes from years of watching the History Channel and Discovery.   Did you know that....

On average, we Americans eat about 18 acres of pizza each day.

Butterflies taste with their feet.


90 percent of New York City cabdrivers are recently arrived immigrants.  (I can vouch for this one although I can't remember the last time I took a cab.  I think it's like $3 just to get in one these days...and that's not counting your trip.)


Elephants are the only animals that cannot jump.


It is physically impossible for you to lick your elbow.  (I can just see you all trying it now).


Women blink almost twice as much as men do.


In ancient Egypt, the priests used to pluck every bit of hair from their bodies...including eyebrows and eyelashes.


A dentist invented the electric chair.


A crocodile cannot stick out its tongue.


A snail can sleep for three years.


No word in the English language rhymes with "month".  Can you think of one?


Almost everyone who read this has tried to lick their elbow.  Come on, now...admit it.  The temptation was just too great.


Happy April Fools Day to all. 






8 comments:

  1. awww, hope this day goes by quick :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Aprils Fool to you also... although I did not try and lick my elbow.. maybe later when no one is looking..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy April's Fool to you..I too resisted the temptation to lick my elbow. However, that doesn't mean I won't try it later. Thanks for those informative tidbits. I do hope you get some sweet rest this evening. have a beautiful day my dear!!
    Hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Aperil's Fool to you too, Mary. I didn't try to lick my elbow, and couldn't find anything to rhyme to month. But then nothing rhymes to orange and purple.... either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blinking thing is one I have never heard. I wonder what the reason is. Hope you get more sleep tonight. X.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can almost lick my elbow. Just push a bit more...... (are you allowed to push it towards your mouth???

    Too bad about the digging up. Hope you have a wonderful long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't try to lick my elbow.. I am too sore from gardening.. and I wish all the snails in my garden would sleep for 3yrs!
    have a wonderful Easter, sweet Mary, kindred soul of Cornwall xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. ~didn't try but you had me thinking of if it was possible...this is some fun filled info i will be passing along to my little ones...we'll see if they will try and i will ponder what rhymes with month...i hope sleep was possible for you last night...rest well and be refreshed...brightest blessings upon you always~

    ReplyDelete