Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Illusive Sleep


My sleep patterns have been changing. and I'm not happy with it. I go in about 9. Can't keep my eyes open when I am up, but then I end up tossing and turning until about 10. I sleep until about 12 or 12:30, then I am up for a few hours, then fall back about 3, up at 5 for a bathroom run, and back until 7 or 7:30. Then I wake up feeling tired and drained because although I am getting about 6 hours, it's broken sleep. 

And then when I get up in the morning I feel like half the day is over. I'm so used to rising at 6. I tell myself it's okay that I  can sleep as long as I want, but that doesn't make me feel better.  It's not like I have any place to go. When I first retired one of the things I had  looked forward to was sleeping as late as I wanted, but then whenever I did, I felt like I slept the day away. I was so used to starting my day early. In fact, there have been times I've had dinner ready by 8 just to beat the heat.

So I grab an afternoon nap.  Is that destroying my sleep pattern?  Possibly. I don't know, but I feel I have to grab sleep whenever I can, and in the afternoon I can always go into a deep sleep.  Long ago I was a night person.  Slept during the day and was up all night.  Of course, I had night time jobs and had to.  When I stopped tending bar and began working day jobs it took awhile, but eventually I reset my inner clock.  Now it seems to be resetting itself.  

So I did it.  Got my hair cut yesterday.  I realized it hadn't been cut since January.  As we neared my birthday in March I put it off to give myself a cut for my birthday, and we all know what happened.  Covid.  I think she did a good job and will definitely go there again. She looked at the picture and did exactly what I wanted. I woke up this morning with bed head but I could go out without even combing if I want. The last cut I got from my regular stylist was ready for a new cut in two weeks, and not only does she charge more, but I also felt that she rushed through that last hair cut in January. I was never happy with it.




Now I have to figure out what to do with my eyebrows.  They have grown wild and bushy.  Short of shaving them off I am at a loss.

12 comments:

  1. My guess is that people don't have sleep patterns anymore...even those who are still working.
    Like you I am retired, too. You would think that getting enough sleep wouldn't be a problem anymore.
    But as you know covid-19 has disrupted the old normal and the new normal sucks!
    Your haircut is lovely and the color you chose is perfect for you.
    Have a wonderful day Mary ☕🌞🐦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW...I changed my blogs header. I think it will cheer you up a bit.
      I used a small orange as a pumpkin 🎃
      Bring on the season 🍂🎃👻🍁

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Can't even nap anymore with all this noise next door.

      Delete
  3. That is a most excellent cut. I hope you can keep going to her.
    I hear you on the broken sleep - and wish I had an answer for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even nap anymore. They make so much noise next door.

      Delete
  4. Everyone sleeps different and it changes for whatever reason. If it goes on for a long time you might want to talk to your doctor. If you get a chance google "sleep hygiene" it may help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been suffering with anxiety attacks lately and that seems to be the cause of my sleep problems.

      Delete
  5. Hair cut looks good.
    I think many are suffering/experiencing different sleep patterns at the moment, the current Covid 19 worries do not help.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete