Friday, September 11, 2020

Friday Roundup

So we had our meeting with the center on Wednesday.  It's definitely going to be awhile before it re-opens, and even at that, it will not be the same.  It will definitely not open this year. The director explained that they had an all new ventilation system installed and have spent over $3000 in other things needed to keep us protected.  But, in the long run, it is not up to the director.  It is up to the Commissioner and the Department of Aging, and they are still in the planning stage as to how things will be run, and they are looking for new models of what centers will be like upon opening.  The new norm.  One thing is they are no longer to be called senior centers.  Now they will be called Centers for Older Adults.  Personally, I don't mind the term senior.

I really miss my friends.
Henry who is almost blind from macular degeneration.  Boy, does he love to dance.
Dear sweet Mary who speaks with an Irish lilt and rides her bike all over the place.
Dorothy in the colored shirt who has a heart of gold, will help everyone, but has this curious topic of carrying a conversation all by herself.  In red is Angela, Henry's girlfriend.

In the middle is Mary Lou.  She fell and broke her hip during Covid.  I understand that one of these men passed away. These were an everyday threesome so I am not expecting to see them again.  It makes me sad how many I've gotten close to who will not be back.
 Judy who runs the jewelry class.
 Gosh I can't believe I have forgotten her name.
 Sylvia.  Just turned 96.  Fell and broke her hip during Covid.
My dear friend, Marie.  I often wonder if I will see her again.  I did see the woman in the back with black hair in our zoom meeting.  Her hair is pure white now...and gorgeous.
 My friend Marc.  I really miss his sense of humor.

One thing they do know is that the virtual classes will continue even after the center is open, and there will not be as many classes offered at the center, at least for awhile.  I guess that's to keep the number of people down. One thing they will have a problem with is transportation, namely the vans that pick those elderly up who can't travel on public transportation due to medical or pain issues.  Now to social distance they will only be able to fit four in a van so  that will have to be worked out.  Usually there are 8 to 10 in the two vans so this new way will mean a lot of extra back and forth trips.


On a positive note they should be receiving the okay to start up with 'grab and go' meals which are cooked by their fabulous kitchen staff.  With the virus level down and fewer people on the bus, it could be a day out a couple of days a week for me.  I could take a ride over to pick up a meal, buy myself an iced coffee at my favorite place,  and spend some time on one of the benches seeing some familiar faces...not to mention some better food.  The cooks at the center put love into their food and there is rarely a complaint.

There will be no volunteer party nor Christmas party this year.  My first year as secretary to SAC and no party.  Just my luck.  As secretary I did have to take notes for both meetings, and I tell you, it felt pretty good to be doing something constructive.  

It rained yesterday so I didn't get out for my walk.  That's okay.  I find it hard walking in the humidity anyway so I didn't mind staying in at all.  Had my counseling session at 1 pm.  The good news is we will be meeting every two weeks now instead of weekly.  That's a positive step.

A new group began at 4 called "What's Driving You Crazy".  Each week for the next three weeks we will be discussing topics related to this time of Covid.  Yesterday's discussion was about 'Brain Fog'.  I have to say, I really enjoyed this group.  It's something that was definitely needed.  Yesterday we discussed how it was for us when shelter in place took effect and how we pulled ourselves through it.




9 comments:

  1. Well, at least the Centres are still providing yummy meals and online classes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classes yes, but yummy meals, not yet. Once the Dept of
      Aging gives to okay they will.

      Delete
  2. Nothing will be the same when this is all over, that is if it is ever over.
    Taking it one day at a time is all one can do but I admit that I am feeling down more and more each day.
    Oh well, life goes on.
    I do hope that things are going better for you and that the noise level will be kept at a minimum next door ☕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find myself sleeping most of the afternoon away. I am so bored. I'm looking forward to an opportunity to get on the bus and have a place to go.

      Delete
  3. I am glad that there are some slow signs that things are opening again. And hooray for online classes. And meals which you will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, enjoyable meals. The people working for the Dept of Aging just don't care. No love in their food.

      Delete
  4. I think it is wonderful that the center has Zoom meetings so you can still stay connected in some way.

    Older or senior, what is the difference? I will bet that they spent many hours coming up with that one. However, the Center adds so much to so many and when Covid is over, I hope it will come back even better for you and your many friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if our center will open up this year ..it's under indoor construction, well overdue,and we're serving meals for the routes out of the fire dept kitchen. I'm not driving anymore and still raising money for xmas gifts for them but that's about it

    ReplyDelete