Friday, September 18, 2020

Friday Roundup

Had a fairly busy week, and next week looks to be busier.  A couple of new classes starting, and I am looking forward to them.  Not going to talk about them now though.  They are the future and this is about the week that what was.

Sunday morn I hopped on the bus and did my shopping on my own.  First time since March. Felt pretty good not to have to depend on someone....although I will admit I did enjoy shopping with hubby.  We hadn't done so in over 20 years.  If I could find one positive about Covid, it is that it brought hubby and I closer together. We spent much more time with and doing more with each other.  We had been living separate lives for so long, this made me realize just how far apart we had grown.  

I decided this week that I want NO MORE of this city food.  Just can't even look at it anymore.  It's slop that someone threw together for a paycheck.  Not that I didn't appreciate it, I did.  But lately they just don't seem to care what they give you.  So I've spent the week making soups and now have a freezer full.  Chicken soups on Monday and bean soups on Tuesday.  

Served with a dollop of sour cream.  Deeee-licious!!!!

They showed up at my door at 8 am Wednesday with a bag of frozen dinners.  I didn't even open the bag to see what was inside.  I already knew  and immediately took them to my neighbors.   

Had another meeting on Wednesday about the center.  I kind of liked it the way it was although I would have liked more classes.  I spoke up about that.  I also spoke up when the 'grump' started complaining that the lunches shouldn't be served because some people only come for the lunch and then go home.  (the grump is a peer who finds fault with everything).  She doesn't like bingo; well neither do I, but others love it so let them be.  She complained that everyone leaves after lunch.  Well, I spoke up about that as well.  For some that is the only meal they have.  Also suggested some more interesting groups in the afternoon and then maybe people would stay.  And yes, people do leave after lunch, but many depend on the vans, and they start driving people home at 1pm.

I used myself as an example.  Yes, I come in the morning and usually leave after lunch.  I come for socialization and classes.  I don't care for the bingo either, but I bring something to occupy my time such as my dot to dot book.  When there is something interesting happening in the afternoon I will stay.  Otherwise, I go home after lunch.  I'm a morning person.  I get up early and rather than hang out in the house, I get out and go to the center.  Fact is, she sleeps all day and doesn't get up until afternoon.  So the center is supposed to change to suit her?

Thursday was a quiet day.  This was an off week for counseling so no session.  I gave up on the Trivia game.  It's no fun when there is someone who knows every answer and doesn't even give another a chance.  I had a few of the answers, but she called out before I even had a chance.  A couple people dropped out during the game.  I stayed, but haven't been back since.  

We are about to enter the last weekend of summer. Wow, the lost summer, the summer that never was. Dug all my summer clothes out in spring and didn't get to wear most of them. My dresses got lots of use. It's easy to slip one over your head and sit around. Now the fall clothes come out. Is it really worth it? Will I get to wear them? Somehow I doubt it. Usually this time of year I am ordering a few new things to wear. Not this year. Not worth it.

 

12 comments:

  1. Good that you made your views known at the Centre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grump is someone who sleeps all day and is pressing for dinner rather than lunch.

      Delete
  2. Your views are important to the center as are the others views. They are needed to make the center work for everyone.
    Those homemade soup sound delicious and soup is always good eating.
    You keep your mind busy and your hands...this is good.

    Have a great day 🍂☕🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congregate lunch is very important to seniors. It is an important way of socializing.

      Delete
  3. There are always 'grumps' with all groups. Good for you to point out all the positives and reasons things go along as they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many positives. The fact is, not all of us sleep all day like she does so we look for morning activities.

      Delete
  4. Like those who commented before me I am glad that you were able to put your differing views forward. The centre needed to hear them and so did the grump - though I suspect the centre was happier to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old me would have kept quiet. I used to always be afraid to speak my mind. No more.

      Delete
  5. Chili does look good. My mom played bingo and not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you were able to find positive in the quarantine and that it brought you and your hubby closer together!!!!! Yay to the center getting rolling again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good that you made your views known at the Centre!
    Your soup looks good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete