Saturday, March 14, 2020

Saturday Short

I have a couple of friends at the center who live together.  They are both extremely sweet people, always ready to reach out and help; i.e: carry someone's tray when they have difficulty walking, helping  to get their bingo cards, helping those with walkers get settled, sitting next to those who have trouble following the numbers as they are called and keeping watch over their cards.  As I said, they are wonderful people.  She is in relatively good health, I think, but he's got lots and lots of health issues so he is in that danger group.

Here's the thing.  They love going to concerts and clubs that feature music.  Granted, all events over 500 people are now canceled, but he DID go to two large concerts this past week, including one at Madison Square Garden.  She didn't go because the guy who got the tickets, who also attends the center, didn't have enough money on his card to get a third ticket.  

And they are usually heading to neighborhood hangouts three or four times a week where there are crowds, smaller crowds, but crowds nonetheless.  Now, I understand that people have a right to do as they wish, but possibly exposing himself to the virus, then coming home and exposing her, and then she comes to the center and exposes everyone else.  (Just a scenerio)  Ironically, he is not coming to the center anymore because he wants to stay safe.

I said she was in relatively good health, but she has had a cold on and off now for the past two months so that tells me her immune system is off.   She came in Thursday and sat next to me with her nose running like mad and complaining she was getting sick again.  Well, I gradually moved my chair inch by inch further away from her.  I don't even want to catch a common cold.

My question is, as much as I hate to, I've been thinking about talking to the office about this.  Like I said, you can do what you want in your own life, but when you are endangering others, it's another story.  We have people who go there who are close to 100.  They have to be protected.  What would you do?  Would you bring it up to the office what they are doing in their off hours?  Of course, I may not even have to as I am just waiting for the center to close.

11 comments:

  1. This is a decision that has no easy answer.
    Personally, I would stop going to the Center until things calm down.
    We cannot be to careful and we have to make changes in our daily lives to fit our personal needs, especially now when this new virus doesn't even have a vaccine to help keep the numbers down.
    If it was my decision, I would just stay away for now. After all, you have your husband to consider with his health issues, too 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, but he is still working. He is taking lots of extra precautions. Finally I got through to him on that. As far as work, he has agreed that he will stop work when and if it gets worse. I definitely put his needs first all the time, but yes, I have been continuing with the center. At this point whenever I am home I sit and worry and cry. That gives me a little bit of joy. When I can finally manage to get him to stop working, I will definitely isolate myself along with him.

      Delete
  2. I would say directly to her that she should not come to the Centre when she is sick, even with "just" a cold. But if she still comes, then I would speak to the Centre's management. But you're right -- the Centre will probably be closed soon anyway. All our seniors' centres here in Edmonton got closed yesterday for the foreseeable future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we have said that over and over again, but she is a little slow and does not get it.

      Delete
  3. Not an easy decision. At all.
    However 'just a cold' can be so much more than that to those with health and immunity issues.
    I think that, like Debra, I would talk first to her and then, if needed, to the Centre Management.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm not going to go anymore. I feel bad about it, but it's unsafe now.

      Delete
  4. For what it's worth, I (out of kindness) exposed myself to a cold in early January, which developed into nasty bronchitis and an illness that lasted through February. I would suggest not exposing yourself to your friend, particularly now. (And I'm betting your center will close soon - groups of people, many of them with preexisting conditions and most of them in the dangerous age group, are a recipe for problems.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Further (thanks for your patience; I'll get off my hobby horse now!): https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/13/815502262/flattening-a-pandemics-curve-why-staying-home-now-can-save-lives

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not an easy decision. At all...
    Here in the UK I think many in the 'at risk' group are almost self isolating so as not to catch anything.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. It differently need to be discussed. A rough guess on busy day our senior center has 50 people there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know if there is a good answer. Perhaps the center management needs to formally announce that anyone sick (even with a cold) or not feeling well should self isolate so as to not expose any other individuals. Of course, you do have those that just don't follow the rules and I don't know what the answer to that is.

    ReplyDelete