Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Just Have to Get Things Off my Chest: Putting my Fear Into Words

I'm really having a hard time of it right now.  I need to stop being so anxious, but it seems my 73rd birthday is already wrought with anxiety.  Of course, it's still a  a couple weeks away, but the way things are going....

Each day more and more are being diagnosed with the coronavirus.  New York has the most cases of any state.  Now it's in Brooklyn.  I've been trying to get hubby to  give up the job for the time being, but he is so darn stubborn.  I can't even get him to take the masks I offered.  I did manage to find him Lysol spray and hand sanitizer, but who knows if he really uses them?  

He has always accepted death, has no fear of it.  When we first started dating he said he wouldn't live past 40.  He's 64 now.  I have fear of losing him.  Lately I just sit and cry. 

And now my son.  He went to the dermatologist for this...

 ...and they did a biopsy.  He has to go back and they want to check out all of his moles.  I'm on pins and needles.  

I try to keep myself occupied.  I try to keep upbeat, but this virus is all the talk at the center.  Everyone is scared.  And it irks me when I see some cracking jokes about it on FB. There is one person passing around that those of us who are preparing for it are a bunch of nuts because it is nothing more than a cold.  People not in the epicenters like we are are not taking this seriously.  They think it's a hoax.  After all, their president said they could go to work if they weren't too sick.  And now I heard on the news that he shook hands with an official who tested positive and is now on quarantine.  Let's see how he reacts to that.

Had another tummy episode yesterday, and it's got me bewildered. As you know, I've been keep track of what I eat and looking at patterns. Well, one seems to be forming aside from the Ben and Jerry's which has me wondering if it was the ice cream at all. The majority of tummy issues start when I eat egg noodles or lasagna noodles. Had an episode with veggie lasagna and 3 with egg noodles. Thought it was the gravy but yesterday we had none and still happened. Now mind you, I've eaten rigatoni, ziti, and linguini with no issues. Hmm!!! Do egg noodles and lasagna noodles have something different in them?  Just wondering why.

 

22 comments:

  1. Please use your own common sense Mary...we have a president that doesn't have any.
    I can understand your anxiety and I applaud you for trying to help yourself by keeping records of what you eat and how you feel afterwards to help you figure it out.
    I do wish your husband would do as you ask but you can't stop him.
    I do hope that your son will be okay.

    Take care and listen to your own common sense 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made him promise to do no airport runs and if and when it gets worse, that he will take a few weeks off. Now I am nagging him to call his doctor to get extra prescription medication in case.

      Delete
  2. I think that anyone who isn’t concerned is not a realist. This is not good, especially for us older people. However, we might just have to hunker down, stay home, and take precautions that are recommended for the coming months and we should be OK. I worry more, though, of getting sick and spreading it to loved ones. I have found that meditation helps me relieve anxiety. I use the Internet to guide me through them and I find myself very relieved from many of the emotional burdens I carry. It definitely helps me and many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice it's the younger ones cracking jokes about this. I'm totally disgusted.

      Delete
  3. These are anxious times, it's true. Now is a good time to practice meditative and soothing rituals, and to wash our hands! Wishing you all the best, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely need mediation. And laughter. I listen to the news in the morning until I hear the weather and then I put the Golden Girls on.

      Delete
  4. As Debra says above, these are anxious times. Sometimes it feels like too much. I think you are wise to prepare. I am hoping for the best. For you, your son, and for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped and bought a big bag of cough drops and Vicks Vaporub today. Can always use it.

      Delete
  5. Thinking good thoughts for your son's test.
    I'm worried about all of this. We're doing the best we can here.
    We tried to find sanitizer but every one is out. There are stores completely out of TP and hand soaps. Most stores are either out of rubbing alcohol or nearly out of it. It's absolutely crazy the stuff that people or stocking up on.
    We did find TP and found some Lysol at another store.
    All we can do really is prepare as best we can for the worst and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's awful. Can't find anything around here. The store still has TP but single rolls. We always have bought a bulk package so we didn't have to run out so much.

      Delete
  6. I understand your anxiety. On all counts.
    In my city, despite no cases being confirmed (yet) there is no toilet paper. You are assuredly not worrying on your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. What aggravates me is those making jokes about it. I am annoyed with my goddaughter over something she posted on FB this morning. This not funny.

      Delete
  7. I empathize with your concerns; I suspect that most sensible people share many of them. And while it may not solve the problem, it might be worth considering that stress and worry also have an effect on digestion, regardless of what we eat. I am experimenting with probiotics and various vitamin supplements to sort out similar issues I have been having in the wake of a dreadful bug and a round of antibiotics, and while I notice that they seem to help, my problems recur when I am quite worried or tense. After reading the other comments, I think I'll try some formal meditation - maybe you can too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine began in the wake of a dreadful tummy bug I had on Christmas Day. It's been off and on since then. It's no picnic never knowing when it is going to hit you.

      Delete
  8. I am hoping your son will be okay.You know you could have a nervous stomach. Picking up on all the energy around you and your stomach soaks it all up. My mom and I both have that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking that may be it, but it is only happening with certain foods. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. These are indeed worrying times, and alas there seems no easy answer.
    We are just doing the best we can.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, I truly hope your son will be okay, and that you and your hubby will stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do what you feel is necessary to feel safe. That's all any of us can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Just heard there are two cases in the hospital near me.

      Delete