Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Tuesday Ramble

Good morning everyone.  Our Monday storm fizzled out, but I still decided not to chance going out yesterday.  Today it should be clear enough for me to head out and put some money in the bank.  I can deal with the cold.  Just don't like the ice.  I am petrified of falling, and I think sometimes you stiffen yourself so much when walking on ice and snow that you make it even more dangerous.  I know that's what I do.

 I'm sorry I missed OneNYC yesterday, but I did fill out their survey and put in my two cents about the need for more senior housing across the boroughs.  In fact, the need for senior housing and other essential programs for seniors are needed across the country.  I have a friend who lives in South Carolina.  She was in an accident years ago and has been retired for years.  She has no place to go so she sits home alone, day after day.  What there is out there for her is too expensive to take a cab and they don't offer transportation.  I feel so bad for her.  

It's time to get myself back on track.  Been eating too many unhealthy inflammatory foods and have not only been gaining weight, but pain has been increasing so it's back to an anti-inflammatory diet for me. Cutting out sugars, unhealthy fats, refined grains, and processed foods.  Will be eating more fruits, veggies, and healthy grains.  Made a hearty lentil/bean soup over the weekend.  Served with a salad, it was a totally healthy meal.  An only took 30 minutes to make.

 
1 can lentils (rinsed)
1 can pinto beans (rinsed)  You can substitute any other kind of bean
1 can diced tomatoes with green chili
Carrots (diced)
Celery (diced)
2 packets sodium free chicken broth
2 bay leaves
Bacon bits
Thyme
Black Pepper

Have a good one.

15 comments:

  1. I'm much like you, Mary...I hate walking on ice too and when I do I tense up, making it more likely to get injured if I do slip. When it is icy I do tend to stay indoors.
    I really feel for your friend. It is awful to be stuck indoors alone. There is so much loneliness these days, and it is really sad.
    Thank you so much for this delicious-looking recipe! I will definitely give it a try. My diet has been quite unhealthy recently... I've been eating too many cakes, bread and chocolates!😕
    Have a great day, dear Friend!

    Big Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good out there today. Everything melted except for next door where they never shovel. Just took it slow. I've been joining you with the cakes. Cakes and ice cream have been my downfall.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. And I think the more you tense up, the easier it is to fall.

      Delete
  3. Stay safe - good idea to stay indoors from the ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness the ice hasn't been sticking around. Only a few places here and there.

      Delete
  4. Mmmm.. I love lentils!

    Yeah, walking on ice is scary. I'm glad the storm wasn't too bad there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been very lucky this year. It snows, but not much and it's gone the next day.

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry for your friend! I really feel for her! That meal looks yummy! Thanks Mary! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there was something I could do for her. She is so depressed.

      Delete
  6. Ice also scares me. We have both low income housing shortage in my area. As personal care giver I once help my client find a place though HUD and we need quite a few things for lower income people.
    Your soup looks good and tonight we had turkey veggie soup.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They send email me info on an affordable housing opportunity. $2100 a month. That's affordable? Not for most of us.

      Delete
  7. I’m glad the storm fizzled put!!! And I think it’s a wise choice to stay inside and not risk it...if that’s an option!!!

    Good for you for getting back on track to stop the weight gain and manage the aches and pains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been pretty icy out there that first day. Much as I wanted to go, it was a choice I had to make.

      Delete
  8. I don't like being out when it's cold and icy either …

    Your meal looks very tasty, good food for cooler weather.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete