Thursday, March 21, 2019

Thursday Odds and Ends



A beautiful summer day at my favorite spot in my favorite park.  Can't wait to get there this year.  So serene and close to nature.

Lots of healthy foods on my list.  I try to stick to an anti-inflammatory diet, but sometimes I just need something sweet.

This is an awesome book for those with eating disorders.  I have never been bulimic or anorexic, but I do have to own up to being an emotional eater and have been known to binge eat for months on end.  I used to hide food in the past because I wanted it all for myself.  For example, I'd buy a box of Entemann's eclairs, hide them, then sit and eat them all in one sitting.  I have definitely gotten much better as evidenced by the 53 pounds lost, but I still have my moments.  Just a couple weeks ago I bought a bunch of cream filled Easter egg candies and ate all of them myself.  Then I feel guilty that I didn't share. 

This was the old center I used to go to.  Was never really happy here.  They didn't offer anything, and when they did, no one seemed to be interested in anything but bingo and cards so they gave up.

Miss Minga with her little girl, Twinkie.  Twinkie ran away about 20 years ago.  We had moved from the house where she was born.  We decided that it would be best to move the furniture one day, then go back for the cats the next day so we left them with plenty of food and water.  The next day I had to work so we had planned on going that evening to pick them up.  Well, hubby decided to surprise me by having them home waiting for me.  Unfortunately he forgot to close the back door and when Twinkie saw the carrying case she ran away.  A few weeks later the new owners called to tell me she was there, but they couldn't hold her because they were going away.  I heard her little meow in the background, so hubby and I took her favorite treats, but there was no sign of her. We tried for three days straight.  No luck.  Then I received a call from the new owners asking why I hadn't gotten my cat.  We tried again and again, but no luck.  Finally, I realized that everything happens for a reason.  Twinkie was never meant to come here with us.  As I write this, I feel tears welling up.  I loved that little girl with her baby cry.

Sea gulls.  Hundreds of them right around the corner from my building.

My mom in her later years.  I look in the mirror and I see her looking back at me.  I tried to find a picture of me so you could see the resemblance, but I am always smiling and mom was always frowning.  She was a beautiful woman, but must have been so unhappy on the inside.

This is what I have to contend with during a snowy winter.  Not only do they not shovel, but those are cars parked in the bus stop.

How proud I was when I received my 25 pound charm.

Me and my grandfather.

Me and my grandmother.  They were both fairly old when I was born, especially grandma who was 11 years older than my granddad.  She was born in 1881, he in 1894.  I was born in 1947.  She was 66 when I was born.  My mom was a change of life baby.

16 comments:

  1. A real eclectic post this morning! Have a great day, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old pictures!! Hope you have a great day and stay safe out there on that snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully snow wasn't that bad this year, and I am not looking for anymore now that spring has arrived, but we never know.

      Delete
  3. Another great post, Mary. Thank you!😊
    I can relate to so much of what you're saying here. I have to admit to doing exactly as you do - eat in secret, especially when I feel stressed. It is a very difficult habit to break.

    I was a change of life baby. My mom was 43 when I was born, so I only ever knew one grandparent. The other three died before I was born. I often wonder what they were like.

    Gosh, you put me to shame! Your shopping looks so healthy. You are a real inspiration to me to change my eating habits! Thank you so much!😊😊

    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try, but I will admit that I have not been eating so healthy lately. I can do without Halloween and Christmas candy, but there something about Easter candy that I just cannot resist.

      Delete
  4. I try to stick to an anti-inflammatory diet, too. I can sympathize with you and eating sweets. Have done the same thing many times. I went to OA for a few years and lost a lot of weight and am happy to say I kept most of it off. It is not about eating (as you know) it is about what is "eating you".
    I hope you have a great Thursday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find now with my back chronically aching I am craving all the wrong foods more and more. Have to really get myself back on track. Congrats to you for keeping the weight off.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful place to visit in the summer months...green grass and a water...gorgeous.
    You do resemble your mother on the outside...but your beauty also extends to the inside of you. I love visiting your blog because of who you are and I look forward to my visits.
    Love the seagulls. They are amazing :)
    Congrats on that 25 lb. loss.
    Love those vintage photos. These types of photos are my favorites.
    Hope you are having a nice day.

    Hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I love visiting your blog as well. Always a pleasant surprise waiting there. That picture does not do the seagulls justice. There were hundreds of them.

      Delete
  6. I believe I could use this book. I tend to cover or react with food.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book. I got it fairly cheap on Amazon.

      Delete
  7. I love your odds and ends posts! They are so full of little tidbits..past and present!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've so many pictures it's the perfect day to share.

      Delete
  8. I love the mix on this post.
    That does look a nice lot of healthy food.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry about what happened to your little fur baby! So sad! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete