Thursday, March 7, 2019

Thursday Odds and Ends

My Irish Soda Bread.  Came out so good, but I'm the only bread eater in the house so I haven't made it again.  

Me, hubby and his sister 20 years ago.

Me with my two babies--Micheline and Miss Minga.  Micheline got out and somebody took her.  I was devastated.

One of my all-time favorite cookbooks.   Not only does it have some awesome ethnic recipes from the 40's and 50's, but also some fantastic stories and memories of the Brooklyn that was.  Basically, it is a history book filled with love and amazing, old-fashioned recipes. 


This was our first house.  My parents bought it when I just 5 years old, and we lived there until I was in my sophomore year in high school.  The house was green when we purchased it, and the tree was just a wee thing back then.   I remember one time falling head first off that front porch.  I hit so hard that the neighbor across the street heard it, but aside from a small headache I was fine.  An angel was watching over me.

I took this picture of a snow storm when we were living in the old house before we moved into our current apartment.  This turned out to be some nasty storm.

This was my Uncle Arnold, mom's brother.  I was about 5  or 7 when he and mom parted ways.  She really didn't even get along with her own family.  Arnold had a son who was my age.  We didn't see or speak to each other for about 65 years.

Another bad photo, but t his one is about 65  years old.  This was me and Arnold's son.  We found each other again through FB.  I met a woman in a group I had joined.  Her last name was Hoffman and it turns out she was from home town.  I messaged her to ask if she knew Arnold, and it turned out she was his ex-wife.  Through her I got all information to contact him.  He didn't have FB so I sent him a letter and he wrote back.  Since that time he has gotten FB so we stay in contact all the time.  Hoping to get out there to see him when the weather warms up.

Not the best pictures, but this was our living room in 1965.  It was huge.  That piano was in my bedroom when we lived at the old house.  I remember taking piano lessons.  I loved them, but hated to practice.  Always wanted to be outdoors playing.  So I would jump from the piano keys to my bed.  Surprised I didn't break it. 

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Lots of good memories. I look at that old house, and boy, do I remember.

      Delete
  2. Wow!! Love the old photos- I've been going through lots myself lately of my picture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love going through my old photos. Keeps me in touch with the past. Everyone is gone now, but the pictures bring them alive again in memories.

      Delete
  3. Love the photographs you've shared - special memories.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are special. As you get older, they become even more meaningful.

      Delete
  4. Aren't those old photos just precious?! I am so glad you are in contact with your cousin again and making up for all those lost years. Just sad that happens in families. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad. I've two cousins who don't even respond to me. I understand Mom was not very nice at her sister's funeral and I guess the cousins resent me as well. So sad. We're up in years now and it's our last chances to reconnect.

      Delete
  5. So fun to get a glimpse into your life like this!!! That cookbook looks awesome! I'd love to read something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cookbooks, but especially those with stories to go with them.

      Delete
  6. You jumped from the piano keys to your bed?? Fun stuff! LOL! So happy you weren't hurt when you fell! Great post Mary! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete