Friday, March 8, 2019

Friday Roundup

Good morning.  It's been a cold week here in Brooklyn.  Winter just doesn't want to let go.  Weather was bad on Monday so I stayed in. Didn't want to chance a fall.  On Tuesday I headed out to put some cash that hubby gave me into the bank so I could pay some bills.  This is what the ground looked like so I am glad I chose not to go out on Monday.


This is at the bus stop.  We have to climb over this to get to the bus....or wait in the street which I chose to do.  You'd best believe I called it into the MTA when I got home.

This is in front of the empty lot next door.  Just enough to make you fall if you step wrong.  Shame is that people are supposed to be fined when they don't take care of the sidewalk in front of their homes, but the city does nothing to enforce the law.  Yes, this is an empty lot, but there is an owner who paid millions of dollars to buy the homes that were there and tear them down, so I feel he can certainly afford to have someone take care of the sidewalk in front of his property.

Wednesday I headed over to my Holistic Medicine class.  I swear, this one turned into a group therapy session where we talked about dealing with feelings of loneliness that can come from change....namely when you have worked so many years and find yourself retired.  We talked about losing contact with our peers and not feeling a part of anymore.  It was a great group, but felt a little strange to me being a group member after having led so many of them. Now I was on the other side.

I didn't go to WW yesterday.  Not only was I not ready to get on the scale, but my neighbor and I were going to head to the SCRIE office. Been looking for two years for affordable housing and it's just not out there. I mean, who can afford to pay $2000 or more in monthly rent. That's what they call affordable. So we're going to apply for SCRIE. That will put a cap on what they can charge me for rent. Any increases will be paid through SCRIE.  But, then at the last minute they came to do her kitchen flooring so we put it off until Tuesday.  

Heading out the morning for my classes.  Friday is an all day thing for me, and I love it.  Making some nice new friends there, and I am happy.  

Will be taking a one or two week break from blogging.  My shoulder blade is bothering me, and I know it's because of the way I sit when I am typing.  I have consciously tried changing my positioning of it, but always fall back to the old way. Will continue to visit your blogs, but taking a break from my own.

Have a great weekend.

12 comments:

  1. Yes, rest your shoulder blade -- see you when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also being very careful walking outside in fear of falling. Everything has been shoveled, but the snow melts and flows onto the sidewalk and refrezes at night. More snow tonight but hopefully, it will only be light.

    Take care of your shoulder and will see you in a few weeks. Enjoy yourself and be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care...we'll wait. Good luck with the 'houssing'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been so lucky this winter, have had hardly any frosts and only snow once and that thawed the next day! I do hate walking when it is like your pictures though...slipping is almost inevitable in those conditions, isn't it?
    Yes, I know exactly what you mean about affordable housing. We have the same problem here. Millions of new houses being built, yet they are way out of the price range of anyone on low wages...and renting is much the same. I have the deepest sympathy for young couples just setting up home together, most have to stay with their parents. My son didn't leave home until he was 26. He just couldn't afford to. It appears to be a worldwide problem.

    I do so hope your shoulder is better soon. We will miss you, but enjoy your time off!😊😊

    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. $2,000 is affordable? Yikes. That's the number 1 reason I left NYC in 2007. Who can afford it?

    Anyway, hope your shoulder is better soon. I'll miss your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have - hopefully - seen the last major snowfall for this winter here. I agree, I like so many others have had enough of it.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rest your shoulder and have a good few weeks!!! Hopefully they are as warm as the forecast for Maryland!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take care of yourself and I hope your shoulder feels better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Take care of your shoulder and yourself.
    Hoping you feel better very soon.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your shoulder feels better soon <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please rest and take care of you!! I hope your shoulder feels better soon!
    I hope you can get some cheaper rent! That is crazy!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete