Thursday, February 28, 2019

Thursday Odds and Ends




The changing face of downtown Brooklyn.  All these little closed up shops used to be little mom and pop jewelry stores, clothing stores, beauty supply stores.  All gone now.  Used to be so much fun shopping here.  Every Christmas I'd go downtown and in and out of stores.  Came home with my arms full. Nothing there anymore.  So sad.
 
See the tall building in the background?  This is what is happening here.  Tall buildings are taking the place of the little shops and although they do offer housing opportunities, it is only for the upper class. 


Just a teensy bit of my bead collection.  I'm thinking of clearing a lot of it out and donating it to the class.  I have way more than I will ever use.  


My second toe crosses over the third toe.  It doesn't really hurt, but it doesn't look so nice.  So I bought these to see if they would help straighten them out.  Couldn't even get the darn things on my feet.  So uncomfortable.  Ended up tossing them out.


Seeing this makes me want to go blond again.  We'll see.  Going to be hard to get this red out since I don't bleach.  I actually take everything in stages.  Next up, strawberry blonde. 


Hubby and I at the Irish fair in Brooklyn. They used to hold it once a year, but then the land was sold and the Mets built a minor league all team, the Cyclones, on the site where the fair used to be held.


This book introduced me to Middle Eastern Spices.  You can see how much I love it as evidenced in the pink stickies.


My daughter and I back in the day.  Not the best of pictures, but you can see how high my hair was at the time....and how thin I was.


Hubby bought me this set when I started painting.  I hate to say it, but it just sits around collecting dust.  Maybe if I had more room to paint I would do so more often, but when you have to paint on your dining room table and have to remove everything every day to serve food,  it just doesn't seem worth it.

My beautiful little guardian angel.

11 comments:

  1. It's a shame to see so many shops closing … but times are changing, and not always for the best!

    You've certainly got a good variety of beads, I'm sure folks would be very happy if you donated some to the class.

    I always enjoy seeing your photographs, both old and new :)

    Enjoy this last day of February - it's March tomorrow!

    All the best Jan
    PS Love your guardian angel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, those beads will be, I'm sure, welcomed by those to whom you're thinking of donating them. I'm in the midst of decluttering and deducing what things I really do want to keep and what I can let go of. When one is aging, I think the letting go because so much a part of life. And every object I have I need to think--does this speak to me any longer? Does this give me joy? Answering that comes pretty instinctively. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I had more out to donate...and I know I will not use them, but I put them back. Will definitely weed out what I don't need, but this is a start.

      Delete
  3. So sad those little shops have closed. I wonder where it's all going to lead? We can't just erase that space. And big huge buildings cannot replace everything. Hmmm.

    Good that you don't bleach. I don't either, but I have blond streaks - not sure what the hairdresser uses, but she assures me it's not bleach. Everything in stages is good.

    The Spice Merchant's daughter looks intriguing. I'll have to check it out.
    Love your guardian angel.
    See you in March. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought to book on Amazon for about $2. I buy a lot of used books from them, but this is great. All of Brooklyn is growing UPWARDS. Tall buildings are replacing everything. Sad to see the quaintness of the borough leave.

      Delete
  4. Mom and Pop stores are the best. I hate to see them close, too.
    Donating the beads is a great idea!
    Neat photos!
    Let my hair go gray years ago and I couldn't be happier :)
    Love your paint set!
    Your guardian angel is beautiful.
    Have a nice evening ✴✴✴

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish I could go gray, but my hair does not grow out so well. It's a mixture of half gray and half my dark hair. I actually asked my hairdresser how I could go gray and she said I'd have to bleach. Not for me.

      Delete
  5. Things are sure changing. In our little town of Bonners Ferry I recall on main street three hardware stores.
    I have to say I miss those five and dime store. It seem you could find the coolest stuff.
    Well there thrift stores

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's happening all around Brooklyn. In a few years we will look just like Manhattan....sadly.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry about all the shops closing!
    Wow, you have a lot of beads!
    Too bad those things didn't help your feet! I was going to get some! LOL!
    Beautiful paint set your hubby got you! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete