Thursday, February 7, 2019

Thursday Odds and Ends


My great great grandfather, Ralph Henderson Holmes.  He died in Dover, NJ at the age of 38 leaving a wife and  4 children.  Tuberculosis.  

When it was discovered that he didn't have a tombstone, we as a family got together and got him one.

I got such a kick out of this picture.  We'd had a terrible snowstorm a few years back and garbage had piled up for days. I snapped a picture of it finally getting cleaned up, and one of the garbage men saw me, stopped work, and stared like he thought I was going to report him for something.  

 This is one book I will never part with.  Love the recipes.  

Hubby bought me this one day when we were strolling through Greenwich Village 25 years ago.  Times were different then, and the village was a great place to hang out in.  We used to love going there.  Haven't been there in about 30 years now so I don't know what it's like now.  Shame is, it's so close with so many memories and I just don't go.  Maybe it's because the memories should remain just that....memories.

My daughter and I.  She is such a beautiful woman inside and out.  I just wish she would realize this and stop with these crazy diets.

This is me and my little girl, Susie.  I still cry over her.  50 years later.

Guardian Angels at a red carpet opening of Donnie Wahlburg's Coney Island Restaurant.  Found out recently that my niece had been a member before she had her children.

Coney Island landscape at dusk.  Gorgeous.  Beyond the lights is the ocean.

Spicy peppers and onions. When I stopped using salt, I began making this  as a topping for my meats.  Very spicy and yummy.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. OMG, it was so funny. I had not even thought about him when I snapped the photo but then I saw he had stopped work and was staring at me.

      Delete
  2. Wow!! That pepper and onion mix looks good except I am a wussy and don't like spicy.
    So glad we don't have snow like that here in Dallas. I love that moon mirror. You just reminded me that I have one similar I need to go dig up and hang on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can add however much spice you want. I adore spicy so basically everything I make is spicy. That was a bad year for us here in Brooklyn. It was over a week before garbage collection could begin again. It was snow after an other. That was a year I was pretty much a hermit.

      Delete
  3. I am always so happy to visit you Mary. As I have said before...I enjoy your blog and feel as if I know you through all of your wonderful postings.
    AS usual your cooking makes my mouth water :) Your daughter is very pretty just like her mom.
    Love, love, love that mirror!!!
    Real tough garbage collectors where you live :)

    Hugs and Have a Wonderful Day~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. Garbage collectors have to be tough here. It's hard work, but great pay. And vice versa. I so enjoy your blog. I always find something that warms my heart there.

      Delete
  4. I wonder whether the garbage collector had a guilty conscience.
    Love the moon mirror.
    We went to spicy (and lemon) when we gave up salt too. And now even a little salt is too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Amazing how our taste buds change. It's the same with me with sugar. Stopped having it in my coffee or tea and now when someone mistakenly puts it in my cup, I can't drink it.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was wonderful that your family got together to put a tombstone on your grandfather’s grave. So many died of TB back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rampant back in the day. His father died of TB as well.

      Delete
  7. Oh dear this is a touching image and sharing about your great grandpa!

    how wonderful to put tombstone ,must be a lovely family !

    i absolutely LOVED the image of you as little girl! it made me smile with love for your innocent cute look :)

    you and your daughter look great together ,she is certainly a charming lady with beautiful smile !

    garbage pic made me laugh ,we are alike in this way lol ,either i capture abrupt shots which struck other sometimes

    what a yummy dish ,so inviting

    your memories place and gift are lovely!

    i agree sometime "memories should remain only memories" because time bring disappointing changes in realities later

    have blessed days ahead my friend!
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family all know me. I think the best pictures are those that people don't pose for. They are always on guard, but I still manage to get those fleeting shots.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is funny about the garbage man! LOL! Makes me laugh! I love that topping for your meat! Your daughter is beautiful! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete