Thursday, February 21, 2019

Thursday Odds and Ends


Couldn't resist this photo of the sun breaking through the clouds.

These faceless dolls come from the Dominican Republic.  Hubby's mom told me they are faceless because they represent 'see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil'.

My dream catcher hangs right over my head.  Haven't had any nightmares since I hung it, but I have had some fun, crazy dreams.

This beautiful statue of Mary in my church.

When I retired, my clients all chipped in to buy me this cake and give me a little party.  Still brings tears to my eyes.  I miss them all so much.


I don't even know how old this candle is.  Probably about 9 or 10 years.  I got it while I was still working.  My co-worker had bought a few of them and I fell in love with this one.  I was the one who trained him when he came for internship so he gave me this.  I've not been able to burn it.  Those are real leaves in there and I just hate to destroy it by lighting it.


Hubby and I on the day we made a day out of it on the Circle Lines.  Not only do I look like Lucille Ball in this photo, but the old World Trade Center is in the background.  Will never part with this photo.


This was a 'seatshop' located around the corner from my house.  It's not there anymore, but I managed to get a photo before it was shut down.  It was so hot in the summertime, and as you can see, no AC.  Only fans set up in different areas and an open door to let in the humidity.


A slightly different view.  Employees were Chinese women.  They come pay someone to bring them here to American and then are placed in these sweatshops to pay off their debt.  They can be found in several spots here around Brooklyn's Chinatown.


My money tree in its early days.  My son said from the window it probably looked like a weed plant.


The world famous Wonder Wheel at Coney Island.

11 comments:

  1. Oh Mary...thank you so much for sharing these fabulous photos! I really enjoyed them...and I have a candle very similar to yours, and I haven't burnt mine either. It sits in my work room in pride of place!
    Gosh, that photo of you and your husband in front of the Twin Towers is so moving...really brings a tear to the eye. To think that beautiful land mark and so many of those poor people within it are gone forever...and for what?!
    Such cruelty breaks my heart.😞

    Have a fabulous weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still brings tears to my eyes. I used to work only 3 blocks away. I used to go in early and stop in at the Borders Book store that was located in the basement of the first tower. I started work at 9 so I would have been in there at the exact same time. Had I not resigned from that job and was working elsewhere, I might have been in that bookstore. I am blessed.

      Delete
  2. Burn the candle!! I used to never burn them and I read a poem a long time ago ( need to find it) about burning the candles, and wearing the outfits instead of waiting for the occasion, etc. It really made sense to me so I enjoy what I can now.
    Love the photo in front of the WTC!! You DO look like Lucille Ball! Such a cutie.
    I have been to NYC a dozen times and still have never made it over to Coney Island. Its on my list for sure for next visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you must go see it. I love to go and sit on the boardwalk and watch the waves. Of course, I always stop for a Nathan's hot dog and cheese fries when I arrive. A little taste of history.

      Delete
  3. You can enjoy the candle's beauty two ways and the choice is yours alone. It would be lovely burning with its soft glowing light or just sitting there pretty with a lovely piece of nature ensconced inside the wax
    Such a lovely photo before hate took them down and the many souls wit it.
    You do remind me of Lucille Ball...one of my favorite comedians :)
    Your son is correct...it does look a bit like weed.
    So happy that the sweat shop is no longer there.
    Great post Mary~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned to Ygraine. I worked on Beekman Street which was about 3 blocks from the Towers. I had just completed my schooling and resigned from that job to take my first substance abuse counseling position only about a month before.

      Delete
  4. Just love the photograph of the sun breaking through the clouds.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, that sky photo is BEAUTIFUL!! I really love to see pics like these!! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was walking along one day and said that's it, have to get a picture of that.

      Delete
  6. That is a priceless picture of you and your hubby, infront of the old world trade centre! I love that candle too! I wouldn't burn it either! Love the sky photo! Love those faceless dolls and your dream catcher! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete