Friday, February 15, 2019

Friday Roundup

Good Friday morning.  We come to the end of another week.  Started out with my back bothering me, and as much as I wanted to go to class, I decided it best to stay home.  Didn't want to push it.  

Tuesday the weather was bad.  Snow, then ice, and later in the evening...rain.  I do not go out in that kind of weather anymore.  Now that I am older, I am so afraid of falling.

My coccyx seat pillow arrived on Tuesday.  I can't tell you how much more comfortable it is to sit now. I love this cushion. Great feel and comfortable support.  I just wish I had bought it much sooner. 

Started reading a new book, and I am loving it.  Just wasn't able to get fully into the 'When the Moon was Ours'.  Got about a hundred pages in, and I totally lost interest.  It had gotten very slow moving....in my opinion.   

Now this one I definitely cannot put down.    

From  the jacket cover:  "Three generations of Palestinian-American women in contemporary Brooklyn are torn between individual desire and the strict mores of traditional Arab culture in this powerful, heartbreaking, and hopeful debut novel—an emotionally resonant and culturally relevant story of love, secrets, courage, and duty that speaks to the lives and experiences of all women today, giving voice to the silenced and agency to the oppressed.

Set in an America that may feel removed yet is all too close at hand, 'A Woman Is No Man' is a story of culture and honor, secrets and betrayals, love and violence. It is an intimate glimpse into a controlling and closed cultural world, and a universal tale about family and the ways silence and shame can destroy those we have sworn to protect. And above all, it is a tale of courage—of one young woman who bravely battles to find her voice and make her own choices."


This was the money tree hubby destroyed.   They grow huge.  There is one in my doctor's office.  Will get a picture when I go on Saturday.  This ear ringing is driving me up a wall.
  
I also decided it was time to find some activities closer to home so on the days I am not up to a 2 hour bus trip I'll have a place to go. So I looked up the monthly calendar of the senior center I attended for my art class.  Wow, do they offer some great things!  And it's only a 15 minute bus ride.   I started on Wednesday because I saw they offered a Holistic Medicine class in the morning.  You know that is right up my alley.  They serve some great lunches, and I would have stayed if Thursday was not weigh-in day.   

Yesterday, as you know, was weigh in day.  I DID IT.  Lost 3.4 pounds and am back to goal.  Not going to let this happen again....although I did get into the chocolates hubby gave me yesterday and ate quite a few of them.  What can I say?  I enjoyed them.

Was going to go over to the center this morning, but instead I have to sit and wait for UPS to pick up a package being sent back to Amazon.  Oh well.  Next week. 

Have a wonderful safe weekend.

18 comments:

  1. Congrats on the lost poundage! And don't worry, Valentines Day chocolates have no calories -- it's a well-known fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that....since the entire box is almost gone already. LOL!!!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your weight loss Mary. It is definitely NOT an easy task!

    That book does sound interesting. Thanks and have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was determined. I'd gone a bit astray and didn't want it to spiral out of control.

      Delete
    2. Boy, do I understand that! I have been doing that most of my life and it gets harder and harder each time I need to get the weight back off again!

      Again, congrats!!

      Delete
  3. YAY! Congrats on the weight loss!! I want to know more about the Holistic Medicine class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be sure to pass on info learned there. I've been practicing holistic medicine on myself for years. Also have a certificate in it, but there is always something new to learn.

      Delete
  4. Very well done on the weight loss Mary...congratulations!
    I have always said that if I cannot get into a book within the first chapter or two, that I will just donate that book to one of the thrift stores. There are so many wonderful "reads" out there that I refuse to waste time on one that can't grab my attention. It may not be a bad book for someone else who will enjoy it.
    Love your Money Tree plant...so lovely.
    Great that you are expanding your interests...good for you!
    Hope the ringing in your ears stops soon. I suffer with it so I know how aggravating it can be.

    Hugs and Have a Great Day~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally managed to get some sleep last night. Turned the fan on and turned it away from me. Drowned out that noise.

      Delete
    2. Great idea with the fan :)

      Delete
  5. Hooray for getting back to goal. That is a big loss in a v short time - which makes me think the gain was inflammation fluids.
    Great that you have somewhere closer to home to go. And yay for chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm thinking the same thing. Inflammation eases up, extra pounds disappear.

      Delete
  6. Good for you for getting back to your goal weight! Not an easy task but you did it!!! I am glad you found lots of classes and activities close to home. A 2 hour bus ride is crazy hard on you if you have options closer to home. Have a wonderful weekend- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my classes and met some great new friends, but right now that bus ride is trigger for my back pain. The subway would have me there so much quicker, but those stairs are too much on me.

      Delete
  7. Sound like a pretty good week. Anyhow wow art classes at your senior center nothing like that at our local one.
    Next time I have to go in. I will bring it up.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't offer the art class anymore. The instructor was a volunteer who one day just disappeared but they do offer jewelry making, wellness classes, exercises for balance and arthritis, and collaging as well as the usual bingo and stuff. Look up the Bay Ridge Center in Brooklyn and you will get some ideas to bring to your center.

      Delete
  8. 3.4 pounds!! Way to go Mary!! Proud of you! Don't worry about the chocolate! LOL! My mom had a money tree too. Her's was huge! She finally sold it, because it was just getting so big. She made some money from it! LOL! I have a cushion like yours and I love it! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your weight loss …
    The Holistic Medicine class sounds interesting.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete