Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Tuesday Ramble

Spring has sprung here in Brooklyn, and it feels so good.  Have the windows open to freshen up the house. Too bad it won't last.  This is all just a tease.  Old Man Winter is not going to give up his hold so easily.  He is lurking right around the corner.  But for today we are going up to 60 degrees.  My goodness, 58 degrees warmer than last week at this time.  Quite a jump in temperature.  I'm heading out again today to put some funds in the bank and pick up a few meats for hubby.  I eat meat only a couple days a week now.  Not that I'm a vegan, but I just love salads and veggie soups more at this time.

Went out yesterday for awhile, and boy, did it ever feel good.  As I was walking to Target I realized that this was the first time I was out in 6 days.  First it was the extreme cold that kept me in, then my back...which is starting to feel much better.  I walked slowing and paid attention to each step so there was no twisting the wrong way.  This little Target in our neighborhood is nothing like the big ones.  So many empty shelves. I really don't shop there at all, but since I had the gift cards, I went in.  Bought my oatmeal, some hand cream, a brain game book, some ear cleaner.  I've had tinnitis for about a week now, and although it doesn't really bother me during the day, at night it drives me crazy.  

The book is filled with charts and lists, prompts for self-reflection, recipe cards, de-stressing techniques, sleep tips, and so much more.  It also includes 40 pages of a food diary.  Looks like just what I need to get back on track.  I was looking for this on Amazon, but nothing caught my eye.  This is exactly what I was looking for.

So my daughter contacts me yesterday afternoon to tell me she is in the hospital.  She is on the Keto diet.  Third time she has gotten serious symptoms from it.  She just doesn't listen to me.  She wants the fast weight loss.  I've nagged and nagged until she gets mad at me.  Then, she gets sick and it's no more Keto.  A few months later she is back on Keto.  Of course, this time will be different...until the second time she gets very sick from it.   And now here we are up to the third time.  Of course she is saying 'never again'. Slow weight loss is the best way.  When you try for fast weight loss, you gain it back just as fast.  I took it slow and easy with WW and managed to stay within goal for over a year now.  Yes, I am over now, but only by .6 which is easy to overcome, and I know where I made my mistakes.  

And giving up one whole good group while you fill up on all the unhealthy fats?  There is a reason why Keto came in last place for healthiest diets last year.  Remember, not all low carb diets are Keto.  Not all low carb diets cause ketosis.  Her diet lacked any kind of fruits and vegetables?  Well, lets just say that when she did have vegetables they were either drenched in a fatty rich cream sauce or wrapped in bacon.

As a certified Nutritional Consultant, and I believe  that the three healthiest diets are the Mediterranean Diet, the DASH diet, and WW.  Personally, I lean towards the Mediterranean Diet  which is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes and olive oil. It features fish and poultry, lean sources of protein, over red meat, and I find it very compatible with WW which not a diet per se. 

Have a good one.

8 comments:

  1. You're right about what the three healthiest diets are. Hopefully your daughter will listen to you before she seriously harms her health, which can have life-long consequences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so. She is 50 years old. Old enough to know better.

      Delete
  2. I am really glad your back is getting better. Long may it continue.
    It sounds as if your daughter follows the keto diet to extremes. I hope that this time she really has seen the light. Quick is not always easy, or safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does. Wants that fast weight loss. Hope she learns her lesson this time. She's having an endoscopy tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. I laughed yesterday as I walked outside around the lake at work. The lake is still frozen and I was out there with no coat enjoying 70° temps!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful day yesterday. I really enjoyed getting out.

      Delete
  4. i enjoyed walking with you dear friend as your description is so powerful !

    i felt deep sorry for your daughter as being mom i can relate to your worries about her

    quest for quick weight loss always involves dangerous ,i wish she can understand and listen to her mom

    i am happy you are experiencing the most beautiful season SPRING our's is going to start in March as temps drops
    i loved knowing you !
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry about your daughter! I hope she is ok! That diet doesn't sound good at all! I hope she listens to you! Your guided journal looks excellent! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete