Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Respect

 

"He who knows others is learned.  He who knows himself is wise." --Lao-Tzo

And a good morning to all my blog friends.  Hope your day is going well.  Just arrived at work and will be here until 7 tonight.   It's kind of icy outdoors, but at least the sun is shining, and somehow that makes everything all right.  And everything is all right.  Life is a blessing, a gift...and I am thankful to be here.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but I have put all of my blogs on Comment Moderation...something I really hadn't planned on doing nor wanted to do , but it is something I realize I will have to do from now on. You see, I have been invaded.  In Yahoo groups we call them 'trolls'.  I don't know what their title is here in blogland.  And, to be honest with you, it sure did take me by shock.  Something I was not expecting.  After all, I am always respectful of everyone else and would NEVER think of writing something negative on another person's blog; that is their space.  So, let's say I find a blog where someone is discussing the benefits of eating worms...something I definitely don't believe in and will not do.  But, I will not comment "You are crazy.  Where do you find these looney ideas?"  No, I will move on for everyone has the right to their own beliefs.   So, call me naive, but I never thought anyone would violate  my 'space'...someone I don't  even know, someone who wasn't even a thought yesterday morning.   Someone who doesn't know me.  And, my friends, it wasn't just one space that was violated, it was three of my spaces..."Inner Journey", Faerieland", and "Avalon".

Needless to say, at first, I was totally angry and even thought of lashing out on the other's blog, but, two wrongs have never make a right and never will.  Besides,  she has, in fact,  provided me with something important to write about today....RESPECT.    On a personal level, being trolled doesn't bother me anymore; I look at  it is a lesson learned...."Protect Yourself".  On a higher level though, it says a great deal about what is wrong with the world around us....a lack of respect for each others' beliefs.  When (and I don't mean us) don't understand something about another's beliefs, the first reaction is to  set out to destroy the other person  or, if we can't do that, mock them  and poke fun of what they believe in.  My question is "Where has open-mindedness gone?  How have we strayed so far?  Why is it that we can never find the time to research and try to understand before we speak?

Not everyone we meet shares our views, opinions, or ideas.  That's to be expected.  Without dark there is no light. Without hate there can be no love.  Without respect, we cannot learn.   Respect means honoring other people's wants, needs, ideas, differences, beliefs, customs, and heritage.  It means showing consideration for others.  It has everything to do with other people's rights to be themselves.  This involves tolerance and sensitivity on our part.  Sadly, many are quick to criticize or point fingers at others without taking the time to develop an understanding.  For example, the tale of Pandora is not some "looney tale" that I made up.  It reaches far back to the early reaches of time when our ancestors searched for a way to explain the workings of the world.  Tolerance, patience, understanding...these are the values that everyone needs to develop.  Peace and love come from understanding...not ridicule.  Speak kindly to others...and try to understand where they are coming from.

And with that, I have to go run my group.  Sorry for rambling.  There is much more I wanted to say, but I've run out of time here.  Just wanted to take the time to thank each of you who have become a part of my life.  I appreciate you all.  I appreciate what I learn from you...for if we do not take the time to learn, we will not grow.  

12 comments:

  1. Im so sorry this happened to you, yet you reamain strong. This speaks wonder for your conviction and faith and I applaud you for that.

    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~sorry to hear such one has crossed your path...i never have quite understood why one feels so compelled to rain on anothers parade...is it that they are lacking any goodness from within that the have to run amuck and reek havic in anothers life just to appease themselves...so strange yet so true that there are those out there...with nothing better to do than try and rob joy from others...7 hours....wishing you strength throughout your day...uugghh! brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on Comment Moderation right from Day One because you never know who's out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack.... Trolls. Yes, I remember them from Groups.

    Luckily, we have the option of Comment Verification on blogs. Which I've used for ages and ages. It just makes everything so much simpler, to/for me.

    Back when I was in Groups, we had to try to get all Members to understand that... Trolls love a fight. [So it was wise of you not to go to your Troll's blog] And we figured that the best way for a Group to handle Trolls, was to ignore them. Like depriving a fire, of oxygen. The Troll would stop having trouble-making fun, and go elsewhere.

    But that was soooooooo hard for some Group Members to do. -sigh-

    Wondering?!? Do Groups still see more Trolls at such a time as this, when school is out for vacation? It used to seem as if we got more Trolls, then. We figured kids were home, and bored and making trouble on Groups was a way they 'passed their time.' :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear you have been invaded. Don't let those people get you down. They don't reaspect because they have never been respected, and they are looking for it the wrong way. Sad really. You, Mary, just keep on doing what you are doing. We wouldn't have you any other way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crazies never care that they are being ignorant or putting down another's beliefs or way of life. These people are best ignored. They live for the drama.

    No one minds comment moderation. Or the word verification. It only takes a second and is a small price to pay for being able to leave your blog-friend an e-hug! *HUG*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to thank all of you for your support. It really means a lot. I was just so, so angry when I first read her comments, but I realize I cannot let anger control my life. I don't know how she found me, but she did.

    Aunt Amelia, I still belong to several Yahoo groups and haven't seen Trolls around for awhile. It seems like group leaders and moderators are really taking control of things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so sorry to hear of your mishap.. yet I have found that usually when such things are done or said it is out of ignorance or a need to control... I do beleive that everyone has a right to their opinion and really do not mind one that may disagree with my own, yet it would be nice if it is kept in taste.... Unfortunately not all believe the same.... loved your response... yet you are a wise crone....

    ReplyDelete
  9. How crappy that you were confronted on your turf this way. =( You have hit the nail on the head in a powerful way with the way you've responded to this. I'm sorry you have to now moderate, but it is your empowered choice to keep you place sacred and I honor you for doing it.

    We could all do well to remember your thoughts about respect more often I imagine. We all have to live here together and while we can agree to disagree, and may even get upset from time to time, we can also try to get along by remembering that my liberty ends at the tip of your nose and vice versa - so don't tread on me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Mary, what a mess you had. Sorry there are ignorant, disrespectful people out there. It's their loss because you seem to know how to open others eyes to so many other ways of looking at life. And I respect you for that!
    Great post, wise words and have fun with the 'Moderator' thing (O:
    Keep teaching...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry this has happened to you. Seems to be a lot of this happening lately. You were great in the way that you handled it!

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, sorry to hear about your unwelcome blogger. You handled it well. Can't say that I would have done so, but I respect your wisdom. X.

    ReplyDelete