Friday, February 19, 2010

The Healing Power of the Written Word


Good morning, everyone.  I've got one thing to say today.  TGIF!!!!  Not that it will be a restful weekend; I'll be slaving over the stove tomorrow, but, at least, I will be able to spend the day in my home.  

"Turn another page.  Write something every day.  If you don't know how to spell, make it up, draw pictures or doodle.  Write something good that happened today.  Writing is like talking to someone who is not there"--Mary Chloe Schoolcraft Saunders

I've noticed that many of us in "blogland" have been going through some emotional upheavels recently, and I think it is great when we can share our feelings.  Writing has always been a source of healing for me, and I have kept journals for years.  For me, writing has been a pathway to spiritual and psychological wholeness.  When I was young, I found that writing was one way I had for caring for myself, or feeling safe when I was lonely and scared.  And when I was trying to find myself and working through a series of difficult, emotionally abusive relationships, I found that pen and paper was a gentle therapist, one that led me through my grief and pain.  Writing opens our minds and hearts to things that are deep inside of us, and allows us to bring up memories that are buried deep within...both the good and bad, the forgotten joys, and understanding and forgiveness not only for those who have hurt us in the past, but also for ourselves.

Let's face it, writing is very therapeutic, and what I really find great is that blogs are like journals, and many who probably have never kept a journal are now experiencing the healing power of the written word.  I'm grateful that regular blogging has become a part of my life...and for the wonderful people who have become such an important part of my life.

12 comments:

  1. ~the quote above is perfect...i started writing when i was 9 and still have all those bits and pieces of papers and journals...a way to express and release and heal sometimes without the help of another...for me writing is what i turn to most and then photography...i wish you a wonderful weekend...brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mary!
    How true..writing is such a deep form of expression and a source of healing. Writing has always been a passion of mine since I was a child. I cannot fathom the amount of stories in my head..oh to just put them on paper!! I think if I didn't have to have a day job..I'd write all day.
    I hope your day has thus far been lovely, magical, and blissful!
    Hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true. But did you know that the power to heal of the written word hides in the fact, that you can see (with your eyes) the words? Talking to yourself out loud, and hence let yourself hear the thoughts (with our ears) produces the same result. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Problem is, I CAN'T blog about everything in my life. As one would write EVERYTHING, in a private Journal. Just can't be that open and revealing, to/on the World Wide Net... So sometimes, blogging can be harder, than not blogging. If that makes any sense. :-)

    I need both blogging, and private Journaling. The later, being the just-for-my-eyes-only kind of writing.

    Am I the only one, like this, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, but Aunt Amelia, you do have a private journal. Many don't don't have one, so this gives them the opportunity to write, to create...even if they are not blogging all kinds of personal things. There's plenty that I won't blog. But, there are some things I feel comfortable sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree more with you about journaling. It has been an invaluable tool over the years for me for self examination and helping me work through difficult problems and decisions as well as for allowing my inspiration to catch fire and develop. I've known a lot of people who can't seem to get into it, but to me it's vital for a healthy creative and spiritual life. I do find sometimes that there can be a tendency for me to use it and just rehash the same crap over and over without making any real progress, and that's when I know it's time to stop writing for a little while and find some other way of opening up, through exercise or knitting or whatever, but I always come back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's the one of my main reasons for starting my blog. I wanted to leave something for my kids, grandkids etc., so they will be able to see what kind of person I am more clearly. I will probably have my blog posts put ino book form for them to read. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good post Mary..As you know, I like to write also. When I was a girl and then teenager, I wrote in journals and diary's all the time. Until my dad remarried and...well. long story short, she found them, threw a fit and told my Dad all sorts of things she thought I did...Anyway, I didn't write for years after that. Just kept it all in my head...till now.

    And I better get writing (O:

    Thanks for sharing you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi...just found you through rue and signed on to follow! off to check out your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never realized until recently that my writing could also heal others (duh!). This has been a huge a power revelation for me.

    I think that most people that write for therapy for themselves, like you, often have the gift of healing for others.

    Kara
    www.conduitofjoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. As well as writing being therapeutic for myself, I just discovered that my writing can also heal others (duh!).

    I believe that is also true for you, as someone that writes for therapeutic reasons.

    Thanks for your post!

    Kara
    www.conduitofjoy.com

    ReplyDelete