Sunday, June 3, 2018

Sunday Selectons

In the springtime, leaves unfolding,
Growing, growing one by one,
In the summer, always giving
Cool, green shade to every one;
In the autumn, tall and stately,
Dressed in yellow, red and brown,
In the winter, sleeping, sleeping,
While the snow comes softly down...

Charlotte Lay Dewey,  A Song of the Trees

This apple tree stood proudly in my magical garden.  Despite the picture being blurry, you can still see all the apples.  That's one of the reasons my garden was so magical.  Everything grew.  Drop a watermelon seed, and the next week a vine was poking through the ground. 

This gnarly tree is from my old neighborhood.  I was always fascinated with it.  Hoping they didn't cut it down.  Wish I had been able to get a better picture of it. 
 This little tree is from my new neighborhood.

Japanese Pagoda tree in my new neighborhood on my block.  It originally hails from China.  Not surprising that it is here as one block away is what they call the Brooklyn Chinatown.  They say the early Japanese planted it around their Buddhist temples.  It's a beautiful tree but it actually causes quite a mess when all those white things fall to the ground.  As you can see, they had already started falling when I snapped this photo.




Above are a few pictures I took of trees in bloom at Brooklyn College the last spring I attended there. 



From Sunset Park, Brooklyn.

I always love this weird shaped tree.

I love the way the trunk of this tree wraps around itself.

From Owl's Head Park, Brooklyn
Heartbreaking.  My old house in New Jersey.  New owners chopped a beautiful tree down.  Many memories surrounding that tree.

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely poem! I grew up in the countryside where my mother still lives to this day. We had LOTS and lots of trees everywhere and every fall I would collect the pretty colored leaves off the ground before my parents would rake them all up.

    How sad about the tree in New Jersey. I guess some people just don't "get it"? What part of New Jersey did you live in? My husband's cousin is a retired policemen and lives in Roselle, NJ. WOW, what a New York-type accent he has ... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was born in Dover and lived in Morris County until my teens when we moved to Sussex County.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful trees are truly one of the joys and blessings of life! It hurts me too to see beloved trees taken down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a confirmed tree hugger I ache to see trees cut down. And love the living ones you shared this week. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why would someone cut down a perfectly good tree? Hopefully they replant something in its place to grow and offer comfort, coolness and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a tree hugger too!! I hate to see trees being cut down! Love all the photos you shared! Such beautiful trees!!

    ReplyDelete