Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Tuesday Ramble

Tuesday morning.  It's back to class tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to it.  Only problem I have is that the beginning loom knitting class is at 9 am in the morning.  On the bus it's a 2 hour trip so I'd have to leave at 7 am, so I'll have to take the subway.  I don't like taking the subway.  First off, I don't like being underground, and secondly, people aren't as friendly as they are on buses where I can always strike up a conversation with someone.

It's another humid day here in Brooklyn.  Went out to the fruit stand very early yesterday morning and couldn't wait to get home.  It was oppressive out there even at that hour.  My pain yesterday was off the wall, and I do believe the humidity has a lot to do with it.  I especially worry about hubby who is Stage 3 emphysema. I'd like to see him just stay in under the air, but he likes to go out and drive the cab a couple hours of the day. I understand why he does it, but it doesn't make it easier to deal with.  It gets him out with people so he doesn't get depressed, and he makes a little spending money which makes him feel like he is still productive.  I was prepared for retirement.  I wanted it, and had all my plans made before I even gave my notice.  Not so with him.  His agency closed down due to funding cuts on programs, and there were no jobs available.  Too many in our field were now out of work and looking for jobs.  With his emphysema, he just didn't have it in him to keep looking.

Yesterday I did some cooking in the morning and made a veggie soup that I've been wanting now for a few days.  I use lots of spices to alleviate the need for salt and make up my own recipes as I go.  It all started with this:
And then turned into this:  
Delicious.  Lots of ingredients:  Fresh mixed vegetables, spinach, Great Northern Beans, can of diced tomatoes, sodium free chicken broth (6 packets),  peppers, onions, basil, oregano, garlic powder, parsley, Harissa, Baharat, red pepper flakes, coriander, black pepper, Balsamic vinegar, and a wee bit of olive oil.  This and a salad makes a low WW point dinner.  Think the only points come from the salad dressing.
Also  out my favorite Mabon book yesterday and started re-reading. 
Just look at all the stickies, and you can see how much I enjoy it.  

Have a good one.






13 comments:

  1. You keep yourself busy with your classes!!!!!

    Stay cool and drink LOTS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so looking forward to my classes tomorrow. This month has just dragged on, and when I get bored, I eat.

      Delete
  2. Yes, September is off to a good start and Mabon is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself that cooler weather is coming. That's the only way I can get through the oppressive weather we are having now.

      Delete
  3. Hot soup and a favorite book on Mabon...great post for September!
    Keep looking for the positive that can be found with each new day.
    I do hope your hubby will feel better come cooler weather.
    I don't blame you for not wanting to ride on the subway. I am way to claustrophobic to even attempt it.

    Hugs🍂💮🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each day is a blessing, and I do my best to live it to the fullest.

      Delete
  4. Some people take to retirement well, while others don’t. My life has become routine and even though I have a volunteer job, it sometimes does not feel enough. I miss the everyday contact with people.

    I would take a bus also if we had one. Here, it is all about driving in your car - usually alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we had August free of classes, my life has become very dull. And the weather doesn't help any. Just sit around the house and do nothing. Not good for me.

      Delete
  5. It is so good that you always keep so active! And your hubby too!

    I also have that Mabon book, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first year I retired it was very snowy and icy so I stayed in most of the winter. I became so very depressed. My little kitty was still alive back then and I became fixated on her and worrying that she was going to pass. I shed a lot of tears. Fortunately, she stayed with me for 4 more years, but I was determined not to let depression get me down again.

      Delete
  6. You are dedicated to spend two hours getting to class! Wow!
    That soup looks good. I love a good soup. Makes meals easy peasy. Louis Dean doesn't get full enough just with soup but I do!
    You have to admire your husband's determination- and yours!!
    Y'all just keep on keeping on, don't you? That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry about the disease of your hubby dear friend!
    he sounds like very strong and positive man who wants to deal with odds of life like a true fighter!

    you are really loving lady to understand the feelings of your husband as well ! this makes life easier

    your soup looks so inviting:)

    i smiled over the reason of your liking for bus ride
    either i don't like to be underground at least until i am breathing lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry about the heat! I hope the cool weather comes soon for you! Good for you and your hubby always keeping busy! The soup looks great! The book looks excellent too! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete