Monday, September 3, 2018

Monday This and That

Good morning, and a happy Labor Day to all.  The last holiday of the summer months.  Back to school week here in the city.  Buses are going to get crowded and noisy again.  Back to class for me as well.  Can't wait.  It's been a long month.   Just hoping my body holds out for the dance and qigong.  This has been a long flare, and I hope that it's due to all the humidity.  In that case, as cooler and drier air moves in I should start feeling better.

No holiday plans here. Heading out to the fruit stand this morning, early, then coming back home to do some cooking.  I spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  Hubby and I eat different meals most of the time.  He likes his meat, beans, and rice.  I enjoy salads, some grilled chicken, stir fried veggies, and soups.  So today I'll be making some meats for him and a huge pot of a veggie soup I have been thinking about for a few days now.
Wanted something sweet yesterday, but not something with points.  This is my  big weigh in week, so I really have to be at my best.  It seems I always get urges for cake and ice cream when I have to get on the scale.  It's all psychological, I know.  Strawberries, bananas, and fat free whipped cream instead.  It did the trick.

A couple more pictures of my Autumn decorations.   Still no idea when the electrical work is going to begin so I am enjoying them while I can. 

As most of you know, I'm what you would call a 'lifelong learner'.  I'm always looking to take classes so when I found a school that offered several interesting classes for free, I jumped at it. Well, after a month of  working on Orientation 1 and Orientation 2, with Orientation 3 still looming, and a rising stress level, I dropped out this weekend.  I have taken many courses online, even got my degree online, and have never seen anything like this. Such picky instructors.  Everything is redo and re-submit...and take my word for it, it's all just plain silliness.  Maybe they are just trying to weed out who really wants it.  The fact is, I may WANT it but I don't NEED it.  It's not like totally new subjects to me.  I just thought maybe I'd learn something I didn't already know while satisfying my need to study.   I'll just stick with UDemy and The Great Courses.  They cost a little, but one doesn't have to be subjected to such pettiness.  I try to keep stress out of my life as much as possible.

Speaking of The Great Courses, I'm taking some wonderful cooking courses on my Fire from the Culinary Institute of America.  Also have quite a few others lined up:   Vibrations for Healing, Staying Well, Integrative Medicine, Staying Well Through the Seasons (Chinese Medicine), Mythologies of the World, and The Celts...to name a few.
This is something they plan on building down the block from me.  In my opinion, it's an eyesore.  You asked why I got kicked out of a group, well this was the reason why.  I spoke my mind about what I thought of it.  Sunset Park is a mixed neighborhood which is gradually changing to all Asian. Many of us are being pushed out of our homes by rich Chinese businessmen who are going door to door offering millions of dollars for houses that are only worth half as much.  The owners can't turn that price down so they sell out.  Then the houses are torn down and huge monstrous buildings take their place.  These buildings are not for us.  Many of them stand empty.  The above archway is a constant reminder that we are losing our homes.

The houses next to me are gone, but they ran into a problem and are currently in litigation so building hasn't started yet.  I think it has something to do with the structure of our building and their need to build a deep basement if they want to build upwards.  Not quite sure what it is, but hubby and I are continuing our search for affordable housing.  It's not easy.  A new building goes up with 350 apartments and only 5 of those are designated for seniors and low income.  And thousands are applying for these few apartments.  It just doesn't seem fair. But, not all of life is fair.  We just have to learn to deal with things the best they can.  

Have a good one.



6 comments:

  1. I do applaud you Mary. You take each day in stride and stay hopeful for a better outcome for a new day.
    The food looks good and sounds good :)
    Hope you are feeling better very soon.
    As for the photo of "the structure"...I think it is beautiful but it just doesn't quite fit the surroundings, It stands out like a sore thumb right now.
    Unfortunately progress doesn't help everyone and does harm for others.

    Stay happy Mary...your health may depend on it. When we are feeling down health issues take a toll on our bodies~

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head, Jan. It's not really 'ugly' in itself, but when placed here, it becomes an eyesore.

      Delete
  2. There never, ever seem to be enough affordable housing built these days. It should be given more priority in city planning, it seems to me. I hope you are able to find a new apartment soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Mary, that structure looks ridiculous in the middle of a CITY not built for it at any rate.

    Hope you feel better very soon and that the changing season helps your health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope the flare up disappears as the weather cools. Ongoing pain is a dreadful thing.
    I too am a lifelong learner, but haven't taken a formal 'class' in years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The same thing is happening where I live and I hate it! So many of the older homes being torn down and monster homes going up! Just this past year, I can count 5! I truly hope everything works out for you and your hubby! I hope you can enjoy your fall decorations longer! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete