Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Wednesday Ramble

 Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. 

Rabindranath Tagore


Good morning, everyone.  It's a rainy day out there.  I usually don't go to the Center on days like this, but they are serving something I love today...chicken Parmesan.  I love Italian food.  And they are serving it two days in a row.  Tomorrow is even better.  Stuffed shells with sausage.  That kind of meal is always reserved for a special day, and tomorrow is a celebration for Senior Citizen's Day.  It's actually not until next week, but they already have an 'end of summer' Polynesian party planned for next Thursday.

End of summer.  Hard to believe, isn't it?  This summer just seemed to fly by. Not one heat wave.  Unbelievable.  I think we had a bit more rain, but I am not sure.  Yesterday was a strange day.  When I stepped outside in the morning, it felt like I had entered fall.  In fact, the wind was blowing so hard that it had the feel of a hurricane on the way.  Yet, when I got off the bus only about 12 blocks away, it was hotter and more humid with no breeze at all.  I just assumed that it had warmed up quickly, but when I got back home,  a little over an hour later, it still felt like fall.  The wind was so strong I had to cover my eyes to keep dirt from getting in.  I guess that is because I live closer to the water.

I didn't go to the Center yesterday.  My refund check from HIP didn't arrive, and I really don't want to end up with bad credit with my landlord.  I pride myself in paying my bills on time.  Sadly, this time they were paid early, but didn't get to the right places.  I called HIP yesterday and was informed that it would be 3 to 4 weeks, and I blew.  I really don't like to get so agitated because I can actually feel my BP rising, but sometimes it can't be avoided...especially when someone finds a large money order and assumes you are paying 96 years in advance. 

It wasn't until I threatened legal assistance because fraud had been committed that the woman changed her tune, and I was told to be patient, my check would arrive at the end of the week.  She would not give me the name of the bank that cashed the check.  That's okay.  When my replacement check arrives, I'll find out.  And you'd best believe I am not going to let this go.  Fortunately, I have an understanding landlord and a good payment record...and fortunately I had enough money in the bank to afford a second rent payment this month.  What if I didn't?  What then?

I still can't believe that Robin Williams is gone.  I once had the honor of meeting him, and he was the nicest man.  My ex was an actor and worked in one of his early films.  After the last scene is shot, there is almost always a cast party where everyone celebrates the completion of the film.  This party was held in the River Cafe, and not only did  hear that Robin Williams footed the bill, but he also stood at the entrance with a smile on his face as he greeted everyone with a handshake. May he RIP.




We don't do much for birthdays anymore, not like we used to.  Both of us prefer a quiet evening at home. I gave hubby a card with some cash and fixed him his favorite meal for his birthday...pork chops, arroz con gondules, and okra.  I have never liked okra so my plate had spiced cauliflower instead.


2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I love stuffed shells too. There's a restaurant here in town that make the most delicious, ginormous ones! I go and indulge myself a couple of times a year -- there's ALWAYS leftovers from that big meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Chinese food, American food, Italian food, seafood, Chinese food. ;0) I'm repeating myself.
    Ed and I went to a local restaurant yesterday to celebrate our 2 years together and we both had fried haddock with onion rings and coleslaw.
    Silly me ate the bread before the meal. Ed was the smart one and declined.
    The scale let me know it this morning. :0(
    On the bright side, my shoe size is the same as it was 60 years ago. :0)
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete