Friday, August 29, 2014

Friday Roundup

Friday has arrived, and it signals the beginning of a long weekend, the last long weekend of summer.  Some, myself included,  consider this weekend the unofficial end of summer.  While I was still working, I always looked forward to these long weekends.  Now, every weekend can be a long one if I so chose. 


I've nothing really planned for the weekend.  I've got to run to the bank tomorrow so while I am there I want to run to the store and hopefully find some bathroom curtains.  It's like they just don't make them anymore.  Has anyone else noticed that?  And my bathroom window is a real pain in the butt.  Most curtains, including the one I have now as you can see, don't fit.  They just need an inch or two.  I just can't seem to find the proper length...and I cannot afford to have them special made.  Now, if only I had learned to sew.

Other than a little shopping and a visit to the fruit stand, there is nothing else on my agenda.  What an exciting life I lead! Actually, I had lots of excitement in my younger years.  Quiet and solitude are just what the doctor ordered for my Autumn years. 

As far as the past week, nothing to report.  At the center we did have a visit from our local assemblyman.  He was talking about the senior picnic the city pays for each year.  There are so many seniors here in the city that all cannot attend so each Center is given a number of tickets which are then raffled off so there are no guarantees that I will be able to go. 

Sometimes I still find it hard to believe I am a senior citizen.  I remember back when I hit fifty.  I still hadn't come to terms with the aging process.  I've always been blessed to look at least ten years younger than my actual age, so I was able to pass for someone in my late thirties...which I did. Even now, just the other day I was talking with one of my peers, and she couldn't believe I was 67.  She thought I was in my late fifties. 

Today I don't lie about my age.  I am comfortable with who I've become.  Sometimes  I may complain, but that is because of the pain I am in, not because I have become an 'oldster'.  Retirement has really helped me come to terms with my age.  As most of you know, all of my peers on the job were at a minimum 20 years younger than me,  and even though it was probably done unintentionally, they really made me feel uncomfortable.  Things like planning after work and weekend get  togethers and not including me because they didn't think I would fit in, or when one of the male workers asked me if I had any Motrin.  When I gave him some, he thanked me profusely and said in front of everyone, " Thanks mom.  I just knew  would have them."  He was in his late forties.  Now, if that don't make you feel old.

Fortunately, although I may be younger than the others, I am in a place now where I fit in and am accepted, and that has allowed me to become more comfortable with myself. And with that I am going to sign off for now.  Otherwise, I could ramble on forever. 

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend.


2 comments:

  1. Suggestion. Upper and lower curtain like in a kitchen maybe.
    I've bought the shortest panels and folded n hand stitched them back and had a wide looking hem in the past.
    After looking at the pic again, I really don't think it looks bad. ISYN!

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete