Sunday, January 3, 2010

Thoughts On a Cold Windy Sunday


My, but it is cold out today.  The wind, topping off at about 50 miles an hour, howled all through the night.  Garbage pails were being blown about just like they were made of paper.  It is so cold out there today that my back door was frozen shut. I usually check out the sunrise on my back porch and couldn't open the door.  I sure am glad that this is a Sunday and not a work day.  Oh, it will be cold tomorrow, too, but they say the winds are going to let up later on today.  And, don't forget, I am not too far from the ocean...a wondrous sight when the seagulls soar over my home, but it does serve to make me a little colder in the winter.  Seriously, I have said this since summer...I think we are in for a rough winter...at least here in New York.  We've had some fairly mild, snowless winters here these past few years...and let's face it, summer wasn't much of a summer.

While waiting for my son to rise, I've been doing a little ancestor stuff.  I realized that I've studied all of the Celtic gods and goddesses for most of Wales, and Ireland, and Scotland, and other parts of England, but haven't learned much about those who stemmed fromNorfolk, England...where my ancestors are from.  Now, of course they worshipped the gods and goddesses of England, but each area also had their own...way back when.  So far I have found four deities that originated in Norfolk...including the goddess of battle, Andraste...the goddess that Boudica had called upon. 

It also amazes me how little they migrated.  I've discovered ancestors who were born in Norfolk, England in the early 1600's, and their descendants can still be found there...so I have to believe that my ancestors have ALWAYS been there...since before history began.  An example would be "Cheddar Man" whose remains were discovered in Cheddar, England.  It seems that he lived and died a violent death some 9,000 years ago....and through his mitochondrial DNA, they discovered a descendant, a teacher who was still living in the area.  Ironically, it took some 9,000 years for this descendant to move 300 yards down the road.  Interesting, isn't it?
                                                                               




I found this study so interesting, I am about to read the books again..."Saxons, Vikings, and Celts" and "The Seven Daughters of Eve" by Bryan Sykes one of the world's leading geneticists who has helped many find their ancestral roots in the British Isles.  Actually, by following mitochonrial DNA almost all of mankind can be traced back to seven woman--Ursula, Xenia, Helena, Velda, Tara, Katrine, and Jasmine....and surprisingly, his books read like a novel...once you start, you can't put it down.  I also really, really want to have my DNA tested, but it's not in my budget.  How about you?  Do you want to know where you came from?

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I read somewhere that at one time most people rarely travelled more than 30 miles from home. In their entire lives! But that kind of continuity and isolation created our vast historical diversity of human cultures and languages.

    I have a basic idea of my ancestry for about 250-300 years back in North America. But before that, in Europe, I have little idea. I'd love to do some genealogical searching but it will have to wait until I have more time on my hands! i.e. retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to know too. I know I have history in England and Wales on my father's side, and the Ukraine on my mother's - and some shady characters on both sides (giggle) but that's all I know.

    Those books sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it's going to be even colder, this coming weekend, or so they say, up here above you. Brrrrrrr...

    Mmmmm, Boudica!

    No I don't know much about where I came from. Other than the simplistic thing of, my ancestors came from Scotland, Ireland, Germany and Austria.

    But I have seen programs on tv, about what you mentioned... tracing DNA and finding desendents still 'there' and etc.

    And now for something 'different,' as 'they' say. Will you please be so kind as to come over and see a different side of 'Ol' Auntie'..., on this first Monday in 2010? ,-)

    Hugs... Because this may be a breaker. But I hope not.

    ReplyDelete