Monday, January 25, 2010

Rainy Days and Mondays



 "The Earth is our Mother; we must take care of Her."  Lakota chant


Wow, it's afternoon already.  Time flies when you're having fun.  Sure wish I were having fun.  It's a dreadful day outdoors, but I am snug and dry in my office.  First day back to work, and it has taken me some time to get re-oriented and play catch up.  Not the best of days to return to work after being sick, but I managed to get to work before the bulk of the storm arrived.   Don't get me wrong.  I'm not one of those people who dislike rain, I happen to love it.  I love lying in bed and listening to the wind howl and the rain beating on the window panes.  That's one of the joys of life.  What I don't like, though, is when I get drenched on my way to work and have to sit in the wet clothes all day.  Not fun!!! 


Rain is an important life-giving necessity for our planet.  When you think about it, rain can be so healing...to the earth...to our inner well-being.  Have you ever meditated to the sound of rain? It has such a unique healing effect for the mind and body.  If you have never taken the time to to notice rain, sit by a window on a rainy day and watch how the rain makes all the colors appear brighter.  Yes, there is beauty all around us if we only take the time to look.  Watch the leaves dance as the raindrops hits the trees.  

There is so much we can do in the rain.  There is never a need to be bored.   Here are just a few ways to alleviate that boredom while nurturing your spiritual self.


Meditate to the sound of the rain hitting the glass on your windows.

Remember when you were a kid and were allowed to play in the rain?  Well, just because you are now an adult doesn't mean you cannot play.  Go outdoors and dance around in the puddles.


Take your dog out for a walk.

Light candles and burn incense while watching the rain fall.


Pick up that book you've been meaning to read and honor yourself with a much-needed break.

Take a long, soothing bath by candlelight as you listen to the rain.


Breath in those wonderful rain smells and imagine that the rain is washing away all of your negativity.

Take time to write in your journal--your hopes, your dreams, your goals. 

If it's windy as well as wet, and you happen to live near the ocean, go out and enjoy the waves.  Just make sure you stay a safe distance away.  (One of my favorites)


For fun, take a city bus ride and watch all the umbrellas fly away.  LOL!!!

 

10 comments:

  1. I think you should take off those wet clothes and just sit at your desk nekkid. Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you need to take you a spare set of clothes to work with you. I too love the rain. I ca 2read one of your posts the other day and loved to hear the thunder and rain on your page. Today I took advantage of the rain. One of my kids wast school the other sleeping peacefully. I sat at my table looking out my window wandering outside. Have a lovely day Sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of my favorite things is a good thunderstorm and the sound of the rain outdoors.... I love how afterwards everything seems so refreshed and new.... We are suppose to get out share of rain starting thursday, unfortunately it looks like it may turn to ice... what a lovely thing to look forward to... glad to hear you are back at work....

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are having a weird winter; it has been raining instead of snow. Not usre how to feel about that.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~hope you dried out by now....nice and warm! where we are it rains quite often so yes, sometimes you have to just go with and make the best of what is out there...rain or shine....wonderful list of ideas...brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love thunder storms! And the smell after a good rain. Alas, we have snow! I always told myself if I ever found a man that would dance in the rain with me, he'd be a keeper....
    Nope...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see your feeling better. Don't over do it. X.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back from a cold. And have to sit in damp clothes all day. Not good! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love thunderstorms and watching the rain! I also love dancing int he rain.... so freeing and fun! I hope you dried out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems like it rained every time I went camping as a child! But I do love the sound of rain on a tent or camper. Very conducive to afternoon naps!

    ReplyDelete