Thursday, April 19, 2018

Is it Really Thursday Already?

How wonderfully these pictures have caught the look of tentative spring—spring waiting for a single day to burst into living green. 

Alice Morse Earle, "In Lilac Tide"

And a good Thursday morning to all.  Had a wonderful day yesterday.  An hour of Qigong and then an hour of Line Dancing.  We're actually making up our own dance...The 1199 Line Dance.  We've practiced all the moves, and now it is just a matter of sorting through them and chosing the order in which we will do them.  Then, we will be performing at the annual Christmas party in early December.  Long way to go.

Today I am off to my Weight Watchers meeting.  Haven't missed one since I started a little over two years ago.  I credit them with saving my life.  Blood pressure was sky high and medication wasn't helping.  Now I'm pretty much normal all the time.   Still on medication, though.  Doctor pretty much assured me that will pretty much be a lifetime thing for me.  At any rate, I learned a new way of living and eating through them.  Weight Watcher is more than just for weight loss.  Emotional and physical health are an important part of the program.   In fact, come May, Weight Watcher is changing its branding from a weight loss to a wellness program. 

Afterward the meeting, a bunch of us regulars are going out to our monthly lunch.  I never had any time for any kind of socialization while I was working....and that 50 years, so spending quality time with friends is new to me.   In addition, I've never had an easy time of it making friends and have always yearned to have at least ONE friend to go to coffee or lunch with, and now I have 5.  Retirement has been good to me.

Some pictures from the park on Sunday.  It's really a gorgeous place, especially during the summer when it is so green and alive.  The hill where I like to sit was once an old Indian burial ground, a sacred place that looks out over the river with a view of Staten Island.  This land once belonged to my Dutch ancestors.  My 9th great grandfather. Teunis Van Pelt was the first European to lay claim on this land.



3 comments:

  1. Just discovered this great blog!! Love the pics and will be following you!! BTW my wife is a huge fan of weight watchers and there are many many discussions here about how many points this is or that is!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is Friday morning (early) here.
    I am so glad to hear that retirement is treating you kindly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting - we are living parallel lives. I do Qi gong and line dancing, although not on the same day! It's fun, isn't it? To get out there and move and groove. And make friends. I never had time to socialize either when I was working and now I belong to at least 2 ladies groups. Seems we're always having coffee or lunch or doing something! Isn't retirement fun?

    And my Mom was Dutch! So there you go. A lot of similarities.

    Sounds like you had a fabulous day.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete