Thursday, October 31, 2019

Thursday Odds and Ends

Halloween.  Samhain.  The veil between the world is thin, and although I think of my ancestors often during the year, this is a special time for me.  I usually set up an ancestor altar and spend time reflecting, and I'll be honest, I usually end up in tears before the night is over. So many regrets.  If mom and I hadn't been so stubborn, things would have been so different.  We never got any closure.  Not that I didn't try.  And then if, things hadn't happened the way they did, two of my sons would never have been born.  Everything happens for a reason.  


My Uncle George, my son Tom, Aunt Dorothy, and cousin Carole.

My Aunt Ruth.  Granddad is in the background.

Dad with his Tiny.

Mom with me.

My great great grandmother, Constance Mary Hazel, with her stepdad, John Staff.  They were from Stalham, Norfolk, England.

My mom's senior picture.

My dad on the left.  Elvis Presley look alike.

My great granddad, Harry.

My great great aunts, Betsy and Annie.

Me with my grandparents.

My great great grandmother.

Me with my dad and his twin brother.

Grandma and me. 

Granddad with me.

My mom.

My Uncle Arnold.

My great great granddad.

My grandparents.

My mom and her sister at Christmas.

Me and my dad.

My mom.

 My Miss Minga.  Miss her so much.

 My dad's twin, Harry.


 My sweet Susie and Tiny.


 Miss Minga and her daughter, Twinkie.



Four generations.  Myself, my daughter, mom and dad, and granddad.


 My sweet Susie.

13 comments:

  1. Happy Halloween...Samhain Mary.
    Thank you for sharing your family with us today.
    I have always believed that we are visited by loved ones that have passed on.
    Celebrate the reunion with love and forgiveness.

    Have a wonderful day 🍂🎃👻🍁💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. Love and forgiveness is definitely on the agenda.

      Delete
  2. Things from the past can’t be changed, we just have to accept them and look for the positives as you have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe everything happens for a reason and had my mom not disowned me, I wouldn't have two of my loving sons.

      Delete
  3. What wonderful family pictures/memories. Thanks for sharing them. It seems many of us were at odds with our mothers - perhaps our generation. The past is done - no changing anything. No need to mourn for 'what if'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got to say good bye. She would not see me.

      Delete
  4. Samhain blessings to you, Mary. Doing an ancestors post on Halloween/Samhain is such a great idea. Maybe I'll do that next year myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought abut it last night and since I am going to spend time honoring them, I thought what better way is there.

      Delete
  5. I am so envious of your family photos. And am sure they are not far away. Samhain blessings to you - and tears are often a good and cleansing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some wonderful family photographs, thank you for sharing them here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm late with the Halloween wishes, I hope yours was good. I do a small ritual for myself for the day at night.
    When my father died, we were distant with each other. Not from my lack of trying. I on my own to find closure with him. I even went out to his grave to talk with him. Over the years, it has gotten a bit easier. I totally understand you with your mom.

    ReplyDelete