Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Tuesday Ramble

Good Tuesday morning.  No Wellness class yesterday, but that's okay.  They gave each of us $20 worth of Farmer's Market checks which will sure come in handy now that hubby isn't working for the time being.

As you know, hubby works at night driving a cab.  He doesn't make much, but it carries us through.  Our benefits alone are not enough.  It's expensive living here in the city, and even though I wouldn't mind moving to a cheaper state, realistically I know I cannot do it because I don't drive.  I'm really an independent sort so I'd go crazy if I had to depend on others for a ride.  Besides, hubby has lots of health issues.  Needs to be close to his doctors.

So, they have been doing some work on the subway line around the area he works.  When train isn't running, they use shuttle buses instead.  Now hubby works between 59th and 60th Street.  The subway station is between 61st and 60th.  Instead of having the bus drop off and pick up passengers where the train station is, they decided to have the drop off point RIGHT IN FRONT OF HUBBY'S BASE.  

And to insure that no one parks the area where the buses stop, they set up a huge police van, the size of a bus, right in front of his base...and smaller police vans with lights flashing in front and behind.  Many of their clients come to the base for a cab, but now the drivers can't park there.  They have to drive around and around the block wasting their gas.  Most have already given up.  There are also several businesses-a chicken restaurant, a laundry, and a deli--on that block that are losing business right and left.

Now, doesn't that REALLY DEFEAT THE PURPOSE if the police vans park  in the very spot the buses have to stop just to keep the public from parking there?  This is where our tax paying dollars go.  Police officers are stopping hard working individuals from doing their jobs and getting paid for basically nothing.  Makes me shake my head in wonder.  No idea how long this will go on, but while it does, it's not worth it for hubby to put in 12 hours of work to bring home only $40.  So while this goes on we are on a VERY, VERY TIGHT BUDGET.

So I treated myself to a WW unfriendly meal last night.

Whole wheat rigatoni with meat sauce....and Cherry Garcia ice cream for dessert.

Today I'm headed for the center.  It's party day.  Always a good meal and dessert.  Will be sure to share on Friday.  

Have a good one.


19 comments:

  1. Well, I hope that construction is over soon. How unfair for your hubby's cab business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For all the businesses. They are all losing money. They are located in an area that depends on drivers for their business.

      Delete
  2. How hard this must be for you both. I am so sorry to hear this sad news.
    You are so right...you can't just pick up and move.
    I hope the construction ends soon.
    Wishing you and hubby better news soon๐Ÿ’ฎ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping it ends. Meanwhile, he is looking for another place to work. It's not as easy at it seems for cab drivers. You have to pay the base every week to get calls. Some are $200. He pays $110 now. He says all they do is drive around and eat up gas. 12 hours work for $50. Not worth it.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, that is terrible. You would think that plans would have been made that during the construction, disruption to businesses would be minimized. I hope that this is a very short construction project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why that mobile police headquarters is set up there. It's the size of a greyhound bus. I'm feeling that maybe they are monitoring something else over there.

      Delete
  4. hope, everything goes well with you and yours soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure hoping so. With holidays coming up I sure am glad I have all this stuff to make jewelry for gifts.

      Delete
  5. I do hope the construction work will end soon, which hopefully will help your situation.

    Try and keep up-beat and positive (not always easy) but I hope my positive wishes and vibes may help a little :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's all just so unnecessary. Hubby is so depressed and worried.

      Delete
  6. Sigh on the construction front. Which is so desructive to people's lives and livelihoods. I hope it can be fixed. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and there is no reason for it. Why not set up the bus stop where the train stops. That's what they usually do.

      Delete
  7. My hubby retire and I still out in work force. We have discuss the pros and cons about moving and selling.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say I'd love to move, but I'm so used to having everything I need just hopping on a bus that runs every two minutes. I went back to Morristown, NJ because they have a huge genealogical library and I had to wait 35 minutes for a bus.

      Delete
  8. Hopefully the construction and mess eight the parking and roads clears up soon so that you can have those extra dollars that are so important to carrying you through each month!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope so. Wrote to the community board about it.

      Delete
  9. Yes, the police do seem to go about things in a peculiar way sometimes, don't they! That certainly isn't helping the businesses in the area.๐Ÿ˜•
    I really hope things improve for you soon. Living on a tight budget is far from easy, believe me, I know!
    Oh WOW, that meal looks absolutely delicious! Well, we all need a little treat now and again, don't we?!๐Ÿ˜‰ I can imagine how much you enjoyed...and Really hope you enjoyed the party too!!๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

    Big Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why a greyhound bus size mobile police station. Has me shaking my head.

      Delete
  10. I am so sorry for all the businesses!

    ReplyDelete