Friday, August 16, 2019

Friday Roundup

As Friday rolls around I look back at another busy week for me.  On Monday we were back in the center.  They have painted it peach, but not a very pretty peach.  It's the kind of dull peach that you get when you don't use a primer and paint over blue...and left the window sills blue.  I shouldn't really complain.  It was done for free, and it will probably look a lot better when they get all the stuff hung back on the walls.  

 I made this month's Chatterbox, our monthly newsletter.  This was at the party last month.  Sorry the picture is dark, but it's printed on colored paper so it is hard to get.  I am second from the end.

Wellness Group had been canceled on Monday, but I understood why.  First day bag after the painting and lots to be done.  Staff was so busy.  No time to run a group...and no space either.  Everything was piled onto our group table.  Tuesday was better.  Had computer class and found a few great websites to look into.  See, I knew these classes would help me in some way.

Tuesday night dinner.  My own recipe-- small elbows, chop meat, mixed veggies, tomato sauce, garlic, onion, green pepper, bay leaf, red pepper flakes, beef bullion, and a wee bit of Harissa spice.

On Wednesday I had an appointment with the ENT.  I knew it was going to be a waste of time and money and I was right.  A wasted trip. A wasted $45. A good doctor, but a waste of time anyway. I know from research nothing can be done. He checked out my ears. Looks good. Checked out my sinuses. Looks good. Come back in November. I did get a RX for Claritin which keeps my sinusitis at bay. At least he is honest and not like some ENT's that have you running about for all kinds of tests and try to push $5,000 hearing aids on you. He was blunt and told me in my case it is most likely age related, that I have lost the ability to hear some higher frequencies and when the brain tries to adjust to the changes, it unwittingly causes tinnitus.

I felt really bad because a friend from WW called on Wednesday to see if I was coming on Thursday.  I felt bad because, to be honest, I've been so wrapped up in my new friends that I have forgotten my old friends.  Have to find ways to include both in my life.  In October computer classes will be over, and I will once again have my Thursdays  free for my WW workshops. 

I bought a bunch of these in different sizes and colors.  Going to try my hand at bracelets, but for now, I made these earrings.  Still waiting for the rest of the leaves and flowers to arrive.

Have a wonderful weekend.



10 comments:

  1. My husband has expensive hearing aids and he still can’t hear me. I think it is selective. I just saw on a TV program that they are coming out with inexpensive hearing aids that will be over the counter and that are just as good as the ones you spend $5,000 now. I hope that is true.

    Your own recipe looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hear very well. Supposedly these are special hearing aids that mask the sounds of the tinnitus. Not about to spend money on that. Doesn't bother me during the day because I am busy. I only pay attention to it at night, and I rectify that with nature sounds.

      Delete
  2. Well, at least you got some straight talk about your tinnitus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read some horror stories in the support group I belong to. Doctors sending them for all kinds of tests when nothing can really be done and they know it.

      Delete
  3. Color is important. It can make you feel good or it can drag you down. The color that you are describing along with blue window sills, sounds depressing to me.

    How wonderful for you. It is a dark photo but I can see you and you made it on the cover of the newsletter...congrats!!!

    Your recipe looks and sounds tasty...thank you for sharing :)

    The tinnitus that many of us suffer with does not have a quick fix and I wonder if there is a way. I haven't found it yet.

    Love those earrings that you made.

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only way to deal with it is to habituate to it. It's become a part of me now.

      Delete
  4. I do like it when a doctor is honest. And sadly I think too few of them are. Which makes my suspicious self wonder whether they get kickbacks from the range of tests they order.
    Selective hearing is definitely an issue in this house. Sigh.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate an honest doctor as well. There are so many crooked ones out there wanting to make a buck.

      Delete
  5. Your recipe looks and sounds tasty, and I love the earrings that you made.

    Tinnitus affects so many … alas I think the older we get more things can and do affect us. The Dr. sounded very good though. I don't know if there may be some helpful tips on this website
    https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/all-about-tinnitus

    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the website. I'll check it out.

      Delete