Monday, April 11, 2011

Monday Musings

God is the experience of looking at a tree and saying, "Ah!"
-- Joseph Campbell --


 I pass the above tree on my way to food shopping every week.  For some reason I am drawn to it; I just feel a special closeness to her.  It's obvious when you see her up close that she is not one of the newly planted city trees.  Indeed, her  gnarly branches speak to me of a time long, long ago.  Each week I tell myself that I must snap a picture of it, and each time I go shopping I forget to bring my camera.  Yesterday I made a special trip just for this purpose.




I can only hope that this doesn't happen to her.  This was once a magnificent old tree.



Had a nice weekend.  Bought all of my pots, soil, and seeds--basil, oregano, chives, and parsley--and I even bought some marigold and sweet pea to plant.  Didn't get started yet.  My son has to get out there and give the porch a good cleaning, and besides, here in Brooklyn, there is still quite a chill in the air at night.  I want this all to go right.

So, I spent this weekend organizing, tossing out papers, packing heavy winter things that I know I will not need again this year, and getting out and rinsing some spring items.  I am pretty proud of myself all that I managed to accomplish.  And all of it counted towards some heavy duty exercise which I am sure really helped with my diet.


My diet is going great, and I am just so proud of myself.  I'm really determined this time.  I'm far too overweight.  I eat lunch now when I am hungry and am no longer involved in that craziness of "What are we going to eat today?"  I usually eat no later than 1 pm....a healthy soup, a Smart Ones, or a chicken and vegetable dish I had made, portioned, and frozen when I want a change in lunch.  Snacks have included blueberries, strawberries, and grapes, but I discovered that, by the end of the day, I would be doubled up with cramping.  Upon doing some research, it turns up that we who suffer from IBS must add certain fruits slowly into our diet...and these included blueberries and grapes because their skin is hard to digest.  

Just waiting anxiously now for my first week's weigh-in.  Hopefully there will be some movement on the scale.

When you enter a grove peopled with ancient trees,
higher than
the ordinary, and shutting out the sky
with their thickly inter-twined branches,
do not the stately shadows of the wood,
the stillness of the place,
and the awful gloom of this doomed cavern
then strike you with the presence of a deity?
-- Seneca --

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your determination to improve your health and for sticking with it. It sounds like you are doing this the right way by looking at it as a lifestyle choice rather than a diet.

    Awesome Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have found myself looking at trees and wondering what stories they could tell.

    I'm rooting for you buddy. :0)
    Don't wait until you are too hungry to eat your lunch or supper.
    Pop some pieces of fruit in you mouth.
    DIL reminded me that I need to eat more protien as that is the fuel needed to burn off fat.
    She eats one Weight Watchers string cheese between a meal. 1 Point
    Just grabbed myself my very first one. :0)
    Hoping we see less of each other at weigh in this week. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, for a minute there I thought you went to take a picture of your tree and you found the stump!! I hate seeing things like this. In my neighborhood, the trees are in containers where every leaves cigarette butts and chewed gum. It's disgraceful.

    Congratulations on the weight loss - it's hard. I too eat lunch when I'm hungry. And I find that lunch is the hardest on my digestion, and fruits don't help, although I like to eat them. There is no scientific basis on this, but I discovered that eating a little yogurt with the fruit helps and then I drink a ginger, peppermint, dandelion tea. (I mix Traditional Medicinal teas - Ginger Aide, Dandelion Root, and Sleepy time (which doesn't make me sleepy, just peaceful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for your commitment to your health!

    I've really had a hard time choosing fruits and veggies lately, so I stocked up at the grocery store yesterday and have promised myself that I will not throw any of these veggies out - all will get eaten!

    It's a tough thing to do, but I think it's so important. Cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - I always think of you on Mondays for some reason. I think there's a part of me that keeps hoping you'll retire and I'll see the very first "Mary's Happy Retirement Monday" post.

    Have a great week Dearie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful determination... hang in there...don't expect too much off the scale...just keep at it...it'll happen...

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful tree. I too am drawn to trees. Good luck on your first weigh in I am sure it will be a good one hugs Sara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for showing us pics of your dear old tree.

    I'm going to try for a positive thought here, and think the tree [which is just a stump] was diseased and had to be cut down, so as not to infect others.

    Hooray for accomplishment and exercise. Me too, I had a good weekend of that. And even better today. :-)

    I'm so happy for your progress with eating and all. It's actually a life style change, all these things you are doing. And soooooo goooood, to see good effects in your gut issues. Oh yes my Dear, how we eat does make a diff in our gut issues.

    I used to have so many more hurtful troubles with my gut, before I make many changes. Trouble is, I forget how icky I felt before, unless I stop and remember. :-) Aren't we silly beings? How quickly we forget some things.? :-)

    Gentle hugs,
    .♥.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been on a diet now for about six months. After being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I thought it would be a wise choice. I've lost about 20 lbs in that period by cutting a lot of the "good" stuff. Now my NP wants me to try the atkins plan which really cuts out the carbs and sugar, especailly in phase one which lasts about 2 weeks. I've been on it before with good results. They have relaxed things somewhat since my last try. So I'm looking forward to the later phases when I can start adding some fruit, nuts and grain products.
    I too love trees. One of the reasons I archery hunt in the fall. I can sit in the woods all day and just commune with nature. Fortunately I live in a rural area where there are lots of trees. I think that would be one of the hardest parts about living in the city. This probably makes you more appreciative of the trees you do have, Mary. Good luck with your new lifestyle plan. X.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're all entitled to be gnarly as we get older! Sister Tree shows us the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all Debra's comment....made me laugh!!!

    Ok...now then. You are starting so many NEW BEGINNINGS. Isn't it fun. I believe continual progress and positive input are what truly makes the world go round. If you would like some skinny recipes...just e-mail me and I can let you know what I have been making and it seems to have worked for me.

    I, too, love OLD trees....each time I seem one I am reminded of "Lord of the Rings"....loved those stories.

    Hugs,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete