Thursday, April 14, 2011

Good News


Three pounds.  I'm  take some time today gonna toot my own horn, but I am just so proud of myself.  Down to 203 pounds.  A long way to go, but I am not going to complain.  It's really a great start.  I was kind of nervous before I got on the scale.  On the past diets I have been on, if I didn't lose anything, I would become so discouraged that I would just say the heck with it and go on a big splurge, never looking back.  This time is different, though.  This time I am fighting for my health.   

Motivation is the key.  I know what I have to do.  I stopped smoking to feel better, and I really did for awhile...until all the food I substituted for the cigarettes began taking its toll.  Sure, in the first few days or even weeks of my quit, the food helped me not to smoke...and at that point, you do what you must not to smoke.  But, after the first couple weeks, when the cravings abate some, one is supposed to ease up on the food, but I didn't.  I just kept on eating whatever I wanted, and it was not all healthy food either....chips, cake, candy and recently those darned cadbury eggs. Ballooned up from 145 pounds to 206 in about a year and a half.    
But, I don't want to scare anyone out there from stopping smoking, and now I am afraid that I might be.   You don't have to gain all that weight.  I have an addictive personality and tend to get addicted fast.  Food became my new addiction.  Do stop smoking. That is one of the best decision I ever made in my life....after all those years.  I started smoking when I was in high school  because I wanted to fit in...and in those days, it was cool to smoke.  Why, we could even smoke on school property, and were provided with smoke breaks.  No one knew back then how bad it was for you.  I was 14 years old when I started and stopped at age 62.  That is a whole lot of years.
  


I know how it is, and, believe me,  I don't mean for this to turn into a lecture.  That is not what my blog is about.  When I was in the throes of my addiction, no one could tell me anything.  We always think that we are immortal, that it will never happen to us, but then it does, or to someone we love.  When I came home from work that day and found hubby struggling to find enough breath to get a sentence out, I knew that it was time to quit.  Of course, it took me three months longer than him, but eventually I did it, and today I am proud to say I am smokefree for:

One year, nine months, one week, two days, 16 hours, 32 minutes and 36 seconds. 9730 cigarettes not smoked, saving $4,767.86. Life saved: 4 weeks, 5 days, 18 hours, 50 minutes.  (My stats this morning)

So, as I always say, if I can do it, you can.  Think about it.  You'll never regret your decision.







14 comments:

  1. YEAH FOR YOU.....MARY!!!! I've never smoked...but, as you know, I've had other addictions plague me...anyone who can get on top of anything thing that is harmful to them is a HERO in my book!! As I said earlier...NEW BEGINNINGS for you my friend.

    Xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mary,
    Good for you!! You've got spirit and will power!
    We're all rooting for you!! Yay!
    xo
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo well done Mary :) xxxxx have a geat weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...really cool that you have those stats...we're all here cheering for you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congragulations on the three pounds and of course for being smoke free. My husband often tries to qit and never manages to. He has such a hard time with it. Is it the beginning of your diet? What a coincidence! I just today, begun a weekly theme in my blog about health and balance. Come for a visit. This week's theme-weekly routine is green tea! Brightest blessings and good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Popped over for a quick hi and love that I did. Good for you and YES, it's worth it. I started for the same reason you did but a year older (15) and quit at 40...20 years ago. What a difference in so many areas it made. I also gained but of all places...in the boob area! Really. Not what I asked for.....Now the weight I gain is just cause I eat what I shouldn't. And it's in the middle:) Anyway, keep up the non-addiction lifestyle and take the weight loss as it comes. I'll be woot woot ing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WW, huh? I am on a nutrition plan for some time now and i have some WW habits like writing down what i eat! I recently begun trying to exercise. Will you give it a try with the green tea?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning My Friend! I am so very proud of you for sticking to your diet and NOT returning to smoking, "because your gained so much weight". I hear that so many times from friends and family that have quit and went back to it. The weight will come off not as easy as it goes on, trust me. Although I have been trying to get a head start on this weight and radiation and am having a heck of a time trying to gain weight. Go figure, a few months ago I was trying to lose it and it just wouldn't budge. You will be back to your old weight in no time, you just wait and see. Love you my friend! Keep up the awesome job!

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tagged you in my blog today :)
    http://darkmothergoddess.blogspot.com/2011/04/dinner-challenge-aka-last-supper.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my Dear, I am soooooooo happpppppppy for you! You seem to have a new Mind Set. And that's the key, to any life style change, I think.

    When something "goes click" in our mind, that which seemed impossible, is now possible.

    Please! Keep the mind set, as much as you can. It won't always be there. There will be harder days, we know that.

    After all, if every Diet Plan worked, there would be no more Weight Watchers or Medi-fast or all the other 'helps.' They would have all worked the first time, and no one would need to go back on them again.

    I wish you a total Mind Set to a Commitment to a Healthier Life Style, for your HEALTH! For your health. For your health. For your health.

    Btw, your Internist will be so happy, the next time you have your yearly check up, that he will probably do a "happy dance." :-)

    Gentle hugs........

    ReplyDelete