Monday, May 28, 2018

Monday Morning This and That



Good morning everyone.  Happy Memorial Day to those who are celebrating.  No plans here.  Will put some flags on the graves of my loved ones who served via Find a Grave., and then take a moment of silence in honor of those who gave their lives for us.  

 Dad in the back.  Didn't he look like Elvis Presley or is it just me that thinks so?

It was gorgeous on Friday.  Packed my bag and headed for the park.  Brought my lunch, Prevention Magazine, 'Moon Watchers Companion' by Dona Henes, and my Kindle Fire and headphones so that when I tired of reading I could listen to "The Sophia Code" by Kaia Ra and practice some 'Earth Breathing' exercises by Reginald Ray from Sounds True Practices.  

It was such a beautiful day.  The sun was shining, there was a slight breeze.  Everything was so green.






I don't use my Kindle to read books very often due to neck issues.  Strangely, it doesn't bother my neck to read a book, but to read a Kindle?  Within minutes I am feeling pain unless I hold the Kindle up in front of my eyes.  Despite this, I still download books I cannot resist.  Basically free books.  A long time ago I had joined a site Daily Free Books, and each day they email me a list of books that are free for that day.  On Friday they offered  'The Simple Uses of Herbal Teas, and Indian Spices: The Many Different Ways of Using Herbal Teas and Indian Spices' by Devika Primic.  The book provides information on a number of Indian spices and various herbal teas. I was familiar with many of the spices as I love to  use lots of spices in my cooking but was good to learn  about some others that I have not tried.  I believe in, and use  aromatherapy and alternate medicine which is why this book interested me in the first place, and the paperback version is $36.  This was free.  Couldn't ask for a better bargain.

Last week hubby had the misfortune of losing his phone.  A Samsung S7. He went into check cashing to get a money order, laid it on the counter, then forgot it. Remembered it not even 5 minutes later, went back, and it was already gone. No one was in the store which means  that whoever found the phone had to have run out without completing their business because there was just no time. But, the joke is on them because the truth is, they  really didn't get something for nothing.

First of all, they can't open it. He had put facial recognition on it.  So first off it going to cost them over $100 to unlock it. Plus, hubby had dropped it several times and the screen was badly cracked and the crack was traveling.. A new screen costs a little over $300. He'd been looking into turning it in towards a new one because it was so expensive to fix. So, with the insurance he had put on it, he was able to get an upgrade, Samsung S8, for a little over $200. And the crook is going to have to pay about $400 for a used phone that they could have purchased new for $300 or less. Proof that crime doesn't pay.

Did some de-cluttering on Saturday.  It's so hard for me in many ways.  I hate to get rid of anything, but with us planning a move, hopefully soon, it's a must that I do some clearing out.  Nothing gets thrown away, though.  I put magazines, books, and knicknacks in the lobby for neighbors.  Makes me happy when I see everything disappear. 

One thing I noticed that did hurt but made me quite uncomfortable feeling it was the crunching in my back when I sat in the chair and bent over to clean out the bottom bookshelf.  A sign that my spondylosis is getting worse.  Have to do my best to stop it now in its tracks. 

Sunday was a rain out.  Didn't make it to church.  Wasn't the kind of day to walk there or stand around waiting for the bus.   I have a hard time with umbrellas lately.  My fingers get stuck.  I think I hold it too hard.

Have a wonderful day.  Be safe. 

4 comments:

  1. I can see why you think your father looked like Elvis. The lips are definitely the same. And something about the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right - your father did look like Elvis.
    That park looks a beautiful place to spend some restorative time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your hubby came out ahead in that phone incident!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dad was very handsome! So happy your hubby came out ahead! Please take care of your back!

    ReplyDelete