Thursday, October 16, 2014

Thursday Ramble


"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about Learning To Dance In The Rain."

Vivian Greene

Good morning, everyone.  It's a rainy day here, and I feel a cold coming on, but there is nothing that will keep me from Weight Watcher's today.  I absolutely love the meetings.  I find them a cross between a classroom and a 12 Step meeting.  Our trainer is the teacher, and someone is always willing to share their story.  I love hearing how far others have come.  It gives me hope.

Went to the old center yesterday.  It's really nice to know that people miss you...and not because they had to cover my group or see one of my clients.  They missed me because they like me, and that is enough to make my day.  This is why I can't give up the old center totally.  Granted, I don't like how thinks are run, but I like my peers and enjoy spending time with them...but I also need the exercise.  So I made a schedule for myself--Monday and Wednesday at the old center, Tuesday and Friday at the new center for exercise, and Thursday at Weight Watchers.  Hopefully I will be able to continue once winter sets in.

The quote I chose today brings back some fond memories.  Hubby and I were new in our relationship when we decided to take in a movie on a rainy day.  The movie theater was located on a small cobblestone street, and there was no traffic.  We had just turned the corner when suddenly hubby handed me the umbrella, dashed out onto the street, and did a complete rendition, dance and all, of "Singing in the Rain".  He didn't care about what others thought.  His entire performance was for my benefit only, but everyone who had stopped to watch gave him a tremendous applause. He was drenched by the time it was over, and we decided it might not be the best idea to go sit in an air conditioned theater.  

We did zany things like that when we were young.  To see me out there playing as a child, one would never guess that I had two teenage boys at home. 'Follow the Leader' was our favorite game.  We'd  be walking about the Village and suddenly we would spontaneously jump into a game.  We'd follow each other around and around a parking meter, hop on one foot, or just walk in a circle.  People looked at us like we were crazy, but we had fun. We didn't care what others thought of us.

Somewhere along the line, we lost that playfulness.  Not that we love each other any less.  I guess we just grew up.  We went back to school, started our careers, settled down.  And life went on.

Have a good one everyone.  Stay dry.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure you didn't lose it. You just need to start using it again. We are all playful, although for some this is buried deep. The Bard and I are (by our own admission) perpetually 12 years old. When he is out in his space working, I regularly go over to the window and knock and when he looks over I give him the finger. ha ha ha ha . We never tire of that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You or I didn't lose our playfulness. What we lost was our ability to run in circles and hop on one foot. :0)
    Thanks for sharing. I was smiling all the while I read this post. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post my friend, there are some things I'm learning to let go of so I can feel young again.

    ReplyDelete