Friday, October 10, 2014

Friday Roundup

 Every one of us has in him a continent of undiscovered character.  Blessed is he who acts the Columbus to his own soul.  

Author Unknown
 

Happy Friday.  Another week is over, and a long weekend is upon us.  We celebrate Columbus Day, but was he really first?  What of the Clovis people, the prehistoric Native Americans who crossed the land bridge into North America some 20, 000 years ago? And what of Leif Erickson and the Vikings who settled in Greenland 1,000 years ago?

This was a good week for me.  Not one palpitation.  Perhaps they really were happening because I stopped taking the Amlopidine.  If so, lesson learned for sure.  Will always check with my doctor before taking things into my own hands. 

Went to WW yesterday.  Took off another three pounds.  That's 11 pounds in all. Not bad.  I see light at the end of the tunnel.  And, the good thing about WW is that  you never go hungry.  Nothing is off the menu, only in moderation with lots of fruits and veggies. I even ate an orange yesterday, and it tasted good.  It's been years since I ate one.

Afterwards, I did my grocery shopping.  Healthier menus are on the way.  Not that I haven't been eating healthy, but I will admit, I have allowed my sodium intake to increase, even to the point of eating Italian hot sausages. And less salt chips.  I see the word 'less' and think I can eat as much as I want.  Compound this with stopping my medication, and it's no wonder the palpitations began.  Of course, I have no definitive answer as of yet, but I do know that now that I have restarted taking the medication and cut a lot of unhealthy salty foods from my diet, I feel a lot better. 

Speaking of healthy recipes, last night out of the blue a new recipe came to mind, and I plan on trying it this weekend.  If it comes out, I'll be sure to share. I've also found a yummy looking cauliflower dish which I plan to tinker with and make my own. Whenever I find a recipe, I always use the basics and add my own touches.  First of all, I don't like everything.  If a menu calls for mushrooms, you know I am going to replace them with something else.  And because I don't eat salt, I spice everything up so you don't even know the difference.  

So, what's on the agenda for this weekend...besides cooking.  Well, this morning I plan to get my haircut.  Can't control it anymore. Now that I am older, my hair grows like a weed. Why didn't my hair grow like this when I was young and wanted it long? Maybe now that I no longer take the thyroid medication its growth will slow up some.

Saturday is going to be a rainy day, so that means indoors for me.  When I began having my palpitations, everything went on hold.  I've lots to keep me busy.  On Sunday church and Monday a visit to the fruit stand.  Such an exciting life I lead!  But, I am happy with my life.  I don't need any more than what I already have.

Everybody have a fantastic long weekend.



1 comment: