Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Hump Day Ramble

 The entrance to the center yesterday.

Good morning, everyone.  We're in for a few rainy days here, and I'm not sure if I want to go out today.  If I do, it will be to the old center for art.  All we do is color, but it's fun.  Coloring is something I've always liked to do.  

Another picture of the center.

Went to the new center yesterday all set to get back into exercise, and guess what?  They were having their annual Halloween party instead.  It was nice, but I was unprepared for it. I hadn't been there is so long.  Would have brought my witch hat had I known.  Lunch was also disappointing.  At the entrance there is a bulletin board which lists the menu and activities for the day.  On the menu was turkey pot pie, green bean souffle, and moussaka.  Sounded delicious and my mouth was watering for it, but when they began serving, I discovered they had changed the menu and were serving some chicken and shrimp dish instead.  I don't eat seafood.  And there was wild rice and plain green beans. 

Everyone told me to go get my money back, but it was only $1.50, and the lady at the desk already has enough to do. And I was well aware that one of the little ladies who sat at our table,  didn't have anything to eat but a plain cheese sandwich. Of course, the center would never let anyone go hungry and would feed them whether they could pay or not, but when this women spoke, it was obvious she was too proud to ask.  In fact, she even gave me a hard time when I offered her my ticket, but eventually I got her to see it wasn't a handout. I had to make her believe she was doing ME a favor. I then went home and fixed myself a salad. Hey, all that food originally on the menu was probably calorie laden and full of sodium. 

And, although I had initially been so disappointed,  when I turned and saw that little lady chatting happily with the others as she dug into her food, I knew it had not been a wasted day. Giving really is better than receiving.

The Golden Ladder of Giving

1. To give reluctantly, the gift of the hand, but not of the heart.
2. To give cheerfully, but not in proportion to need.
3. To give cheerfully and proportionately, but not until solicited.
4. To give cheerfully, proportionately, and unsolicited, but to put the gift
into the poor person's hand, thus creating shame.
5. To give in such a way that the distressed may know their benefactor,
without being known to him or her.
6. To know the objects of our bounty, but remain unknown to them.
7. To give so that the benefactor may not know those whom he has relieved,
and they shall not know him.
8. To prevent poverty by teaching a trade, setting a person up in business,
or in some other way preventing the need of charity.

Maimonides

2 comments:

  1. You are definitely right about the giving. It makes me feel all warm inside!

    ReplyDelete