Friday, November 16, 2012

TGIF



How easily we can forget how precious life is! So long as we can remember, we've just been here, being alive. Unlike other things for which we have a good comparison--black to white, day to night, good to bad--we are so immersed in life that we can see it only in the context of itself. We don't see life as compared to anything, to not-being, for example, to never having been born. Life just is. But life itself is a gift. It's a compliment just being born: to feel, breathe, think, play, dance, sing, work, make love, for this particular lifetime. Today, let's give thanks for life. For life itself. For simply being born! 

Daphne Rose Kingman 



Thanksgiving weekend. Already.  Can you believe it?  I'm going to make sure this is a quiet weekend. I need some quiet time.  It has been so busy this week. There is just so much paperwork already, and the funding sources keep requesting more.  Now we have to complete a two-page smoking assessment along with a four-page mental status and 19 page psychosocial upon admittance. They are really pushing smoking cessation, which is a good thing, but it only adds to our paperwork.

I guess on Friday I will finish up my Thanksgiving menu which, this year will include lots of fresh veggies and fruits. It's so nice to have that fruit stand down the block.  I didn't have this at my old place.  I realized last night that this will be my first Thanksgiving in my new home. I want it  to be so special. So much has happened in this year. I've been diagnosed with several health issues, and hubby has made a decision to go on a treatment that is going to make him pretty sick for awhile, but we have so much to be grateful for. There are so many out there who are far worse off than we are. Why, just the other morning there were two ladies from Coney Island on the subway talking about Thanksgiving. They have no lights, no heat, but they have gas, and they were talking about how nothing is going to stop them from cooking and having the family over for Thanksgiving.   

And, I think of my clients in the shelter.  Many have no family to go home to. They are totally alone for the holiday.  I'm so glad that every year we give them a annual Thanksgiving feast with all the trimmings.  Of course, before the day is over, my back and knees are usually aching from being on my feet so long, but the smiles we put on their faces makes it all worth it. Life really is good. 

Today, let's give thanks for life.


Wishing you all a wonderful weekend filled with lots of love and happiness. 


7 comments:

  1. Yes,yes,yes,yes,yes...yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss!
    (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life IS good - and you are reminded of that everyday! It's great that you create a thanksgiving dinner for those who couldn't otherwise have it. I know that the holidays are such lonely times for some people that sometimes I feel bad being engaging in them....but if we are fortunate we have to appreciate life by celebrating it and helping others who can't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is better with a song in your heart alright!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And a wish for a wonderful weekend to you too. :-)

    I noticed a post in a blog I follow, for book suggestions. Same one I sent you, the other day. Since you liked that, I thought you might want to follow this blog, because of this....

    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be of good cheer is a nice way to live life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to have a quiet dinner with my parents. I'm also in a new apt. this year and I miss my house so much but as you said there are so many people who have been hit by Sandy who barely have anything. Many things to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi dear Mary....I know you will catch up with your workload in due time....and it does sound like you are taking such good care of yourself....I'm pleased for that.

    Enjoy this wonderful weekend.....you are so right LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL!!

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete