Thursday, November 29, 2012

Meet Some of My Christmas Angels


Millions of spiritual creatures walk the earth 
Unseen, both when we wake and when we sleep.

John Milton

Angels have always been an important part of my life, and, at Christmas, I go all out. This is their season.  I have always believed.  I know they are always with me, and on more than one occasion, have stepped in to save my life. I have heard it said that at our birth an Angel is assigned to us to protect on our journey through life. Oue   Angel is always with us and never leaves our side, from our day of birth to our time of death...and love us no matter what we do. And while they are always there to lend a helping hand, they won't step in to help unless we ask them, the only exception beinga life threatening situation which brings me to one of my newest additions.



Meet my newest angel (above). I just couldn't resist her, and although I'd just bought a new star for my treetop last year, the moment I saw her and her lovely white gown, I just knew she had to top my tree. She reminds me of the Angel who saved my life. I've told this story before on my blog, so I will make it brief. There was a time in my early 20's that I suffered from sleep apnea. On most nights, just waking and bolting upright was enough to bring my breath back, but on that one night, something was different. I could feel 'death' calling out to me. 

It was then that I saw her, dressed in a frilly white gown, standing in my bedroom doorway. She didn't say a word, she just looked at me. I realized then that I had been blessed, because usually they don't let us see them. Her ethereal beauty was so entrancing, I couldn't tear my eyes away from her, and as my breath gradually began to come back, she faded away. Now, almost 30 years have passed since that night, but I can still see that beautiful lady in white clearly in my head...and now she has a prominent place atop my tree. 

Blessed are the Angels who walk with us,
though we are unaware,
Those people who take time to listen
... to understand and care.
Blessed are those with unseen halos,
earned through deeds of love,
For they will always be for us Sweet Blessings From
Above

Author Unknown



Above is my little faceless straw Angel.  She always has a prominent part of my tree. Made completely of colored straw, she was a gift from a very special person who is no longer with us in this world of form, but his spirit lives on in this darling little Angel. 



This is my other new Angel, the Angel of blue who represents the element of Water. The Angel associated with water is the Archangel, Gabriel, who can appear as either male or female.  He rules the  West, Autumn, the Moon, and Monday. He is in charge of souls and is associated with magic, clairvoyance, and fertility.  It was Gabriel who appeared to Mary, a teenager, and revealed her destiny. To invoke an Angel, all you need is love in your heart...and genuine motives. Invoke the presence of Gabriel when you wish to gain more understanding of your path of life. Ask him to give you clarity of mind.  

And finally, a blessing from a man who wrote like an Angel, John O'Donohue.

May the Angels in their beauty bless you.
May they turn toward you streams of blessing.

May the Angel of Awakening stir your heart
To come alive to the eternal within you,
To all the invitations that quietly surround you.

May the Angel of Healing turn your wounds
Into sources of refreshment.

May the Angel of the Imagination enable you 
To stand on the true thresholds,
At ease with your ambivalence
And drawn in new direction
Through the glow of your contradictions.

May the Angel of Compassion open your eyes
To the unseen suffering around you.

May the Angel of Wildness disturb the places
Where your life is domesticated and safe,
Take you to the territories of true otherness

Where all that is awkward in you
Can fall into its own rhythm.

May the Angel of Eros introduce you
To the beauty of your senses
To celebrate your inheritance
As a temple of the holy spirit.

May the Angel of Justice disturb you
To take the side of the poor and the wronged.

May the Angel of Encouragement confirm you
In worth and self-respect,
That you may live with the dignity
That presides in your soul.

May the Angel of Death arrive only
When your life is complete
And you have brought every given gift
To the threshold where its infinity can shine.

May all the Angels be your sheltering
And joyful guardians."

from "To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings"

9 comments:

  1. So glad your angel saved you, that is a lovely story and she looks beautiful up on your tree.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the pictures of your tree. I too,am in the first stages of decorating for the season.

    I believe in angels and I loved your personal story about your angel.

    I have quite a few angels in my apartment, mostly gifts from my children, because they know I love angels so.

    Have a wonderful day Mary filled with angel love.

    hugs and love Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! I can see how the first one, just had to come home with you. Lovely!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your angels are so beautiful! And I love that poem by John O'Donohue -- thanks for sharing it with us! I can hear his gorgeous Irish accent as I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Angels, Mary...

    As are the thoughts that go with them, your experiences.

    Personally I love the Angels as well...always have and know with fervent conviction they exist.

    In Divine Blessing,
    Akasa

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are all blessed to have angels but not many of us get to see them. I loved your story of being able to see your angels. I think as well that this time of the year that we are able to feel them more than at other times. Much like on Samhain when we are able to feel our ancestors. All of your angels are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful story and angels Mary, I often feel their presence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post, beautiful poem! I too believe in angels!

    ReplyDelete