Thursday, August 9, 2012

Just Got Home

I'd be lying if I said today wasn't a nightmare. Oh, the test and the pill weren't so bad.  I made at least ten different people assure me that it was perfectly safe before signing those consent forms.  It was the time that got me.  I arrived there at 8 am as instructed and waited until almost 10 am for my papers to go upstairs.  Then, I had to stop at admitting to register.  Waited there until about 10:45 am to take care of that registration.  Then was sent to Nuclear Medicine where, I'll be honest, I at first tried every way possible to get out of the test and eventually was given....the pill.  Oh, did I mention when I looked up at the sign and it read "Caution, Radioactive Materials", I panicked and almost ran the other way.

Needless to say, hubby was also scheduled for the doctors today so I had taken a cab in the morning.  So, after taking the pill and told I could go home and come back at 4:30 pm for Part One of the test, I chose instead to wait downstairs in the lobby rather than waste all this money in cabs.  A word of advice to all: Don't believe everything you read on the internet.  I went there without eating because I "read" that you couldn't eat, so, by the time I found out differently, I was at the starving point.  Chalk up a cheeseburger, sweet potato fries, and a Pepsi as I threw caution to the wind.  

And then, it was onto the lobby and an afternoon of people watching and reading.  At 4:30, I went back upstairs and underwent a ten minute test.  Tomorrow I go back for the longer test, but it will not be as nightmarish as today.  No registration, just straight upstairs, and I don't have to be there until 10 am.  And after the test, it's home to what will be almost a three day weekend. Yippee!!!!


  1. Ah yes, the old beauracratic hospital blues.'d think they could figure out a better system? I'm glad you are all that much closer to being done with it though Mary. That in and of itself will be a great relief for you I'm sure. And for all of us who are waiting along with you! :)
    Get some rest Dear!!!
    Love Ya!!!!

  2. Sorry for the wait-wait-wait. But glad day 1 is over. On to day 2 and the weekend!!! :-)

    Gentle hugs,

  3. Just think of it this way Mary, the worst part is over with. Tomorrow will likely be a lot less stressful than today. You know what to expect
    and then you can give a big sigh of relief and look forward to your long weekend.

    I am proud of you for being so brave.

    big huggies Mary

  4. Well, at least you got a good "forbidden" meal out of it! Enjoy your "almost 3 day weekend."

  5. glad you have THAT behind you...good luck today, and enjoy your weekend.

  6. and rest when it is all over.. rest the weekend.. nurture yourself. eat well xoxo