Monday, May 27, 2019

Happy Memorial Day



Memorial Day.  A day we remember those  that died while in the service, and for many, it is first unofficial day of summer celebrated with cookouts and family get-togethers. Be safe and be sure to take some time to remember and honor.

No plans here today.  First of all, I have come down with a nasty cold.  Haven't been getting much rest and feeling like crap.  I really don't get sick often, and when I do, I don't handle it well.  But, aside from yesterday when I went to bed all afternoon, I keep myself busy, hydrated, and my belly filled with healthy soups and vitamin C fruits.  

I am disappointed because I had so much I wanted to do. There is a necklace I really wanted to make and I wanted to continue with my decluttering.  My house doesn't look like it used to.  It's not filthy, but with my chronic pain I can only do so much before I have to rest, and I thought a 4 days off would be the perfect time to dig in.  Wrong.

I did go to the fruit stand yesterday to stock up on fruits, veggies, and the ingredients for homemade ginger tea.  Made a huge pot and have it in containers in the fridge.


Fresh ginger,  a whole lemon then quartered and tossed in pot, cinnamon sticks, and honey when served for sweetness.  Bring to a boil and simmer.  Sometimes I add cloves as well, but I don't have any right now.

I find many different fruits there that I have not seen and I usually buy a few to see if I like them.  This time it was apples.  They have SO MANY varieties it's hard to know what to buy.  This time I saw something new.  Karu apples.  So I bought a few to try them out, and they were delicious.



The Karu apple was a fluke of nature that was discovered in flower garden in New Zealand.  A few Fugi apples that had gone rotten were tossed into a rose patch and from there they grew into a new variety.  DNA testing indicated that it is a cross of Fuji and Braeburn.

It is absolutely delicious--sort of a mixture of honey, orange, spices, and vanilla.  Not too sweet with just enough tart for balance.  An incredible apple. 

Have a wonderful day.

14 comments:

  1. Oh my, I hope you feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Spent most of the day in bed. This isn't a bad cold, but it sure knocked the heck out of me.

      Delete
  2. I am very sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well Mary. I do hope that you will feel better soon.
    Your tea recipe sounds delicious.
    The apples look and sound yummy.
    Every time I try to go through my "clutter" it makes me want to collect more :) After all, my clutter is my treasures~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It is so hard to part with things. I end getting rid of very little.

      Delete
  3. I also wanted to say that your homemade ginger tea sounds delicious. I will have to try this recipe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope you feel better soon.
    I'd not heard of Karu apples, pleased you are enjoying them.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first I heard of them too. They will probably disappear soon. Last year they had bubble gum flavored grapes. Only once. Too bad. They were delicious.

      Delete
  5. Feel better soon. That ginger tea will be a comfort and a help.
    There are some lovely new apples aren't there? I haven't come across that one, and will keep a look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh...I thought apple is just one variety... I'll look in details to see the different when I go to grocery stores....

    Enjoy your memorial day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many varieties. Will have to show you the picture of SOME of the apples available at this fruit stand.

      Delete
  7. Happy Memorial Day and ginger tea does sound good.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete