Tuesday, January 5, 2016

On a Cold Tuesday Morning.



In a way Winter is the real Spring--the time when
the inner things happen, the resurgence of nature.

Edna O'Brien
Morning all. It's pretty frigid out there this morning, only 11 degrees, and I'm sure am glad I have nowhere I have to go. Going to stay in my warm apartment and take the tree down. That's always a day's work in itself. Getting the lights in order and folding the tree to get it put away are the hardest part of it.

So now the holidays are over, and there is school to look forward to. Next Tuesday I have two classes. So looking forward to getting back into it. I tend to spend too much money when I don't have anything to do. Guess it's a good thing that the cold arctic air is keeping me in.


Nothing goes to waste in my house. For the above soup, I used my leftover pernil (pork shoulder) which had been frozen since Christmas dinner. Chopped up some onions and peppers. Sauteed in olive oil a few minutes until onions translucent. Then added the pork and allowed it to fry a few minutes for added browning.

Then, I added half a can of diced tomatoes, two tablespoons tomato sauce, 3 1/2 cups water, 2 cubes of chicken bullion, garlic powder, 1 1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice by McCormick, 1 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, red pepper flakes (how much depends on how spicy you like it), black peppercorn in McCormick grinder, celery, about 1 1/2 cup frozen mixed veggies, 3 potatoes, and salt to taste.

Have a good one.  Stay warm.

1 comment:

  1. We are too warm here. I would swap temperatures in a heart beat. Love your soup.

    ReplyDelete