Monday, January 4, 2016

Monday Morning This and That

Drive my dead thoughts over the universe
Like withered leaves to quicken a new birth!
And, by the incantation of this verse,
Scatter, as from an unextinguished hearth
Ashes and sparks, my words among mankind!
Be through my lips to unawakened earth
The trumpet of a prophecy! O, wind,
If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?
Percy Bysshe Shelley



Morning all.  Holidays are over, and it's time to get back to a normal schedule.  I've got a ways to wait yet.  Besides a course next Tuesday and the Tuesday after, school doesn't start in earnest until February.  I've plenty to keep me busy until then.  I've my paints to practice with, lots of great reading material, so many recipes to try, and my adult coloring book....which sure is fun.  Started working on this one on Christmas Day and finished it on New Year's.
New Year's Eve and Day were a quiet time for me and hubby.  I didn't even cook.  We had our chicken with rice and beans this year and had enough for dinner the next day, too.  I needed a break from cooking. 

Well, winter has finally arrived here in Brooklyn...despite the brilliance of the sun yesterday.  They say it is going to be brutally cold by tomorrow.  I'm most likely in now until Wednesday, not because of the cold, but because I have to stay away from the stores.  I've spent far too much over the holidays.  Not complaining though.  I am so grateful to have all my family back in my life.
They had an extra special mass on Sunday for the Feast of the Epiphany.  The Bishop attended and the mass and songs were sung in three languages....English, Spanish, and Chinese.  My goddaughter attended with me.  I'm so glad she is becoming more a part of my life.

Started taking the Christmas decorations down yesterday.  The tree will stay up until Tuesday, the Twelfth Night.  So much work before and after.  And it is all over with so quickly.  But, it is oh so worth it.  I always try to do something new to avoid that letdown and emptiness of the house once the tree and decorations are gone, and usually all it takes is a tablecloth.  This year I got birds, butterflies, and flowers.

Well, that's about it for my weekend.  How was your New Year's weekend?  

Have a good one.

3 comments:

  1. I got (unexpectedly) a colouring book for Christmas too -- Kliban's cats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Year's weekend was quiet. Just the way I like it. I hope it sets a precedent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pleased that you observe Twelfth Night by retaining the tree until then - so do I!

    ReplyDelete