Friday, January 15, 2016

Friday Roundup

Every one should keep a mental wastepaper basket and the older he grows the more things he will consign to it — torn up to irrecoverable tatters.

Samuel Butler


Morning everyone. It's warmed up a wee bit here in Brooklyn, but I'm still planning on a quiet indoor day. Can't seem to go out without spending money, and I don't have it to spend. Have to settle down some and start saving for the dentist. I have to wait for a package anyway. I'd purchased a fantastic gel for my gums from Amazon and ended up leaving it at Weight Watchers yesterday. Of course by the time I called it was gone. So I ordered another tube. Have to be more careful next time.

As for the weekend, rain on the way tomorrow so another day indoors.  I've online classes to keep me busy--Dinosaurs, Terrorism, and Protecting Yourself on Social Media.  

As you know, Ralph has been driving a cab, but the money is not worth getting up at 3:30 in the morning and working 10 hours. So he decided to pay the insurance and register his own car. That way he only has to give the base 25 percent instead of half the money. Well, when he went he was told his insurance would be sky high because he had two accidents. But he only had one. He was waiting for the light when some woman plowed into the car in back of him which then plowed into him. The police officer somehow filled out the accident reports with two different years. So now he had to go to motor vehicle for a print out and send a certified letter up to Albany to get it changed. Could take months.

It amazes my how the system makes a mistake, and the party involved has to jump through hoops to get it fixed. Took Ralph two years to get approved for SSD so he had a nice sum for his pack payment. Well, some idiot checked off that he had mental illness, not a physical illness and they refused to release the funds to him directly. Wanted him to identify someone to handle his money for him. I originally agreed, but then I asked myself if I REALLY wanted to run to the bank every time he needed something. And we certainly didn't want them to appoint a stranger, so we fought it. Took about two months of doctor's visits and letters but finally a change was made. Such a shame.
Have a wonderful weekend.

2 comments:

  1. oh yeah. The system. It is almost impossible to maneuver. I often think this is done on purpose so that people eventually give up. I think this is especially true when people could possibly get some money they are owned. I wish I didn't think these things, but I see too many stories like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hoops to correct errors seem to be the same the world over. High hoops. Sometimes surrounded with rings of fire.

    ReplyDelete