Monday, September 29, 2014

Monday This and That

 With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now. 

 Ralph Waldo Emerson


Happy Monday, everyone.  I don't know about the rest of you, but this weekend went awfully fast for me. Such beautiful weather.  Nevertheless, I was looking forward to getting back to my regularly scheduled programming, starting today with my arthritis exercises.  The doctor told me to exercise as much as possible for the pain, but now my palpitations appear to be returning (I've already had two) and I don't know it I am going to be able to do it.  I'll have to call the doctor because it is obvious now it is not what we thought it was.

Well, I can say it now.  I was pretty darned scared last week.  I thought that was it for me.  When my heart began raising, the pressure rose to my head, and it felt like it would explode.  All I could think of was 'stroke'.  Fortunately, I was blessed, and it turned out to be something easily fixed.  But it really gave me some thought this weekend about how precious our lives are and how important it is to cherish every moment for we never know when it will be our last. 

And with that I'd like to leave you with the following.  We tend to get caught up with what we 'should' have done, or what we 'will' do, and forget that all we have is what we can do now.  We are only promised today. 

  Two Days We Should Not Worry

There are two days in every week about which we should not worry, two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.
One of these days is Yesterday with all its mistakes and cares,
its faults and blunders, its aches and pains.
Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control.
All the money in the world cannot bring back Yesterday.
We cannot undo a single act we performed;
we cannot erase a single word we said.
Yesterday is gone forever.

The other day we should not worry about is Tomorrow
with all its possible adversities, its burdens,
its large promise and its poor performance;
Tomorrow is also beyond our immediate control.
Tomorrow's sun will rise,
either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds, but it will rise.
Until it does, we have no stake in Tomorrow,
for it is yet to be born.

This leaves only one day, Today.
Any person can fight the battle of just one day.
It is when you and I add the burdens of those two awful eternities Yesterday and Tomorrow that we break down.
It is not the experience of Today that drives a person mad,
it is the remorse or bitterness of something which happened Yesterday and the dread of what Tomorrow may bring.

Let us, therefore, Live but one day at a time.

1 comment:

  1. You're right, Mary. It's about living in the present and making the most of it. :) I'm glad you found an answer to those palpitations you were having. I send you a big hug from the other coast!

    ReplyDelete