Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Wednesday Ramble




There is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as
a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap;
the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and
grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

George Bernard Shaw


I snapped the above picture of the Verazano Bridge as I was on my way to enroll in the recreation center.  Needless to say, it was a long, somewhat wasted trip.  I didn't even go in because I because I didn't get a good feeling about it.  First of all, it was a long walk from the bus, downhill going, but returning it was all uphill.  Then, it was a plan green building located in what I consider 'no man's land'.  It was so far from civilization that no one would hear you if you called out for help...and, there was no one around anyway.  It was just too dreary and depressing so I just turned around and walked back up to the bus stop.  At least I got to explore a part of Brooklyn I was unfamiliar with.

During my travels yesterday, I came across the quaint little Episcopal Church above.  It was so small and nestled so far back that if I hadn't been looking for an address, I wouldn't have found it. It would be nice to attend a service there, but the bus runs every 40 minutes on a weekday.  I can only imagine how it would be on a Sunday.

It was almost lunch time at the senior center so I headed on over.  For one dollar I had a meal of delicious meatloaf, real mashed potatoes, fresh string beans, fruit salad, milk, and juice.  Plus I had the added benefit of being surrounded by others.  I loved it.  We also stood and faced the flag and said the 'Pledge of Allegiance' and sang 'My Country Tis of Thee' before the meal was served.  Haven't done that since school.

After lunch I tried my hand at the belly dancing classes they offered.  Yes, 'old stiff as a board' me.  The old hips may not have moved that well, but it sure was a lot of fun, and it felt good to laugh.  Today it's needlecraft, bingo, and dance lessons and history...whatever that is about. This is so much better than work. 

Received a call from an old colleague yesterday. It was good to be remembered. Of course I asked about my clients, and she told me that the young boy I'd been concerned about has been missing.  The last time he was there was my last day when he came to say good bye to me.  Since then, no one has had word from him.  It had been my fear that he would take it hard.  He'd once told me that everyone he cared about always left him, and that's why he had tried so hard not to get attached to me.  But, then he began to trust me and trust that I would be there for him.  And then I am gone.  It is so sad, but there was not much of a choice for me.  The job was killing me, so either way, staying or leaving, I would have been gone.  And now, I have to let this go, as well. I can be concerned, but nothing more. I can only pray that he is alright. 

Prayer for worldly goods is worse than fruitless, but prayer for
strength of soul is that passion of the soul which catches the gift it seeks.

George Meredith

7 comments:

  1. :0) You lit up my face with a smile this morning. Belly dancing yet...you are full of surprises! ;0)
    Wish there was that same kind of participation for meals in Ed's town. Him and I were the only ones there to eat, the three times we went to eat. :0(
    Whoa.....all for a dollar! It's a $3 fee here. What a bargain there. I shit you not!
    Just got the Bulletin for next month and there is a FEE for almost every activity and some are going up. Like...what's with that!
    Keep on shaking your Booty, Mary. ;0) (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful looking church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad about the missing boy. I think it is better to touch someone's heart even though the person might not be able to take it fully in. Obviously you showed a lot of caring and that was a gift even if he can't realize it at this time perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary......Just stopping by to say hi and see what is new with you. Love that little church.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! Keep having fun, that's what its all about. I truly hope the boy will show up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh i hope he's all right. But yes, you did what you had to do for you, as hard as it was in some ways.

    I love that little church. It's lovely and looks very welcoming.

    The senior center sounds like lots of fun! I'm so glad you're going. I've always wanted to try belly dancing, but not sure if i could move like that! :)

    ReplyDelete