Monday, June 3, 2013

Monday This and That


The happiness which we receive from ourselves is greater than that which we
obtain from our surroundings. . . . The world in which a person lives shapes itself chiefly by the way in which he or she looks at it.

Arthur Schopenhauer
It's  a  rainy Monday. Fortunately, it's going to wash this oppressive heat away. I think it hit us hard because most of us weren't ready for it.  I watched as neighbors scrambled early morn to get their air conditioners in. I thought about how good it will be when August rolls around, and I no longer have to take that dreadful subway ride.  Underground stations are oppressive during the summer heat.  They smell of urine and body odors, and some stations can reach 100 degrees during a heat wave.

Went out early Saturday morning before the worst of the heat to do some shopping at my favorite fruit stand. Took some pictures for you.  You've all heard so much about it.  Thought it was time to show you. This is only 'some' of the fruits.  Down further is the veggies.  I swear, they have every kind of potato one could possibly want. And then, there is the inside of the store.  This is where you find all the herbs, some speciality fruits, cheeses from around the world, candy and cakes from around the world.  It is magnificent and takes me almost an hour to go through everything.  I would have taken more pictures, but one of the workers was looking at me strangely, and I got a little nervous.  Here in New York everybody is so jumpy so I figured it best not to push my luck.  There is always next time.



As usual, I came home loaded with loot. Those plums there are called California Sweet Plums, and when you bite in one, the juice actually squirts out. They are so, so sweet and yummy. I also bought some broccoli, baby spinach, and cauliflower to make a pasta dish for my lunches. It is far too hot for my homemade soups now, and even with the air conditioner, hot soup just doesn't sound right.  And the salad turned out scrumptious. It was so easy to make.  As usual, I found a basic recipe and changed it to suit my tastes.

1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
brocolli
baby spinach
1/2 cup olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 tsp fresh parsley
garlic cloves
black pepper to taste
grated Parmesan cheese
pasta of your choice

While cooking pasta in large pot of boiling water, cook vegetables and drain. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and saute garlic. Stir in cauliflower and seasons. Drain pasta and transfer into large bowl. Toss in vegetables. Add Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley and serve.
 

There is plenty for my lunches this week. 

Well, not only is it a rainy day outdoors, but also a rainy day here at home.  I'm typing now at record speed as my computer has seen better days.  It keeps shutting off on me, and the monitor will say it is getting no signal.  This probably means a new one is in order.  I definitely cannot go without a computer. I've had this HP since 1996 and it has been well used, especially when my son lived with us. I can't complain.  I did get my money's worth from it. I just dread transferring everything from the old one.  Have to dig up all those discs that haven't been used since before the move.  Yikes, a horrid thought.  Can I even find them or did the movers lose them as well? 

It also irks me that this has to happen because I am trying to save for retirement.  I'm not going to be bringing in the money I am now, and even though it won't be so noticeable, it will cut out the extras that I have grown to love.  I'm already starting to re-train myself.  On Saturday I was going to head to Rite Aid just to see what I could buy.  Not that I needed anything. I have plenty of incense and scented candles. I don't need any toiletries.  I just wanted to shop.  I talked myself out of it because the time has come to learn a new way of living.  Not a bad change, a good one.   Material goods do not make one happy, and if they do, it will only be a temporary happiness.  The fact is, we cannot buy happiness.  True happiness is found within. It is about how we feel about ourselves in our hearts.

The happiness which we receive from ourselves is greater than that which we
obtain from our surroundings. . . . The world in which a person lives shapes itself chiefly by the way in which he or she looks at it.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Wishing you all a great week.  And be sure to take some time for you.

3 comments:

  1. Mary I can relate to your feelings about shopping. I too had to break some habits, but I also realized that I do enjoy shopping, the modern form of "gathering."

    So my solution was to gather when there is need mostly, and shop at second hand places to find "treasures." Lately those are chosen with others in mind and I put the treasures in my birthday box to create a treasure chest of little things that I think others will like. This way I don't spend too much. I take care of my gift buying and satisfy my love of "gathering." It's easy to be a hoarder when shopping in these places because they are inexpensive, but I avoid that by looking only for very specific things and keeping my visits short. I just "run in" and have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the great pics!!!!

    But no, do not endanger yourself, taking them. I worry about you taking pics, in a big city. But thank you for sharing what you took.

    Oh Mary, that is wonderful! That you simply stopped yourself from "just going to shop." I hope that each time you do this, you will break the old habit, a bit more.

    Take a nice walk you wanted to take... Or sit down with a book you are loving reading... Anything to reward yourself, without shopping.

    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a market, how fun! It's the little things like buying fresh fruit that give me happiness.

    ReplyDelete