Friday, March 8, 2013

TGIF


One is content if one can find
happiness in simple pleasures.

Thomas Malloy


As Friday rolls around, I look forward to a weekend where I have nothing to cook.  Oh, the house needs to be dusted and mopped, but the rest of the time will be mine.  I've nothing planned except for a trip to my favorite fruit stand.  I'm not so keen on winter fruits so grapes and clementines have been a staple in my diet for several months now...and I am starting to get sick of them.  I'm sure I will be able to find something new and adventurous to add to my menu.  Lately, I've been seeing strawberries in most of the stores, so I am thinking of buying some to have in my oatmeal or served with a bit of low fat whipped cream. (Berries are not one of my favorites either) Perhaps a nice fruit bowl of mixed berries.  Mmm.  That sounds pretty good.

I was glad I took off yesterday. It was a nice quiet day.  Did nothing but read and watch television, and of course some napping.  I consider it a 'found day'.  Actually, I would have taken off today as well, but I need to pick up my thyroid meds from the pharmacy.  Right now it is really convenient to have my pharmacy right around the corner from where I work, but in a few months, I'll need to change it.  I also have a lot of time to take, and I don't plan on giving the company back anything.  Not counting yesterday's absence, I still have 101 hours sick, 123 hours vacation, 2 personal, and my birthday to take.  That is over a month of time I have coming to me.  I'll only get paid for three weeks vacation when I leave, so that will take up 105 hours.  The rest has to be used...and with vacation, they add a day and a half a month...so that will have to be used as well.

Speaking of retirement, I am getting more and more excited as each day passes.  As I called in yesterday, I realized that this is the last winter I will have to think about calling in when the weather is bad.  Next year I'll just be able to stay in whenever I chose.  And, financially, I am not going to be as cash-strapped as originally thought.  Sure, I am making more money now, but I will not have as many expenses either. My only fear is that my lease will be up in December, and it will be time for an increase.  I am unsure how much it will be, but I do know it will be a strain on me even if I was working.  At least with retirement, I will be able to apply for SCRIE, a senior citizen rent increase exemption.

Well, time to get a move on.  I really don't want to go in today so I am procrastinating.  (Sigh)  Soon everyday will be a free day for me.  Retirement will be a gift, a gift of time, and one well worth waiting for.

 Many of us cannot grasp the truth that the time allotted to us
on this earth is sufficient for all the Lord has planned for us to do.
We don’t need one minute more or one minute less to get the job done:
Our greatest fear is running out of time. So we hurry through life
trying desperately to get everything done: working overtime, eating
fast food in the car, and racing down the freeway. . . . Today, this
very day, why don’t you think of something that takes a bit of extra
time to do and do it. . . . Maybe it will be an act of generosity or a
moment of kindness directed towards a loved one or a stranger.
Perhaps it will be simply singing a hymn of praise and thanksgiving
because your heart is so full of gratitude. Don’t wait for another
time. Rejoice in this day and be glad.

Luci Swindoll

Wishing you all a weekend filled with love and happiness.  See you all on Monday.

8 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you!! You must be soooo excited.

    My current magical project involves soon being able to semi retire, or maybe even fully retire - think big!! So if all goes well, we'll be stay at home ladies together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are developing a wonderful way to view Change!!!

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully, having retirement to look forward to will help the intervening time fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the weekend. We're finally getting a reprieve weather wise. a warming trend is on the way. Hope it melts some of this snow. X.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like my friend you are already enjoying your retirement or thoughts of it! Keep up the positive attitude of this new adventure. Wishing you a warm week!

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesssssss....take all that accrued time due you OFF!
    Every last single second of it to savor the fruits of your labor.
    (((hugsssssssssssssssssss))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really is surprising
    just how much we do spend
    to actually go to work.

    For me, I have to buy so
    many uniforms and special
    Reebok runners because I am
    on my feet constantly.

    I think you will find your
    money factor to work out to
    the same and you won't have
    to drag yourself there and
    back every day.

    You love to write and now
    you will have time to do that
    and more time to read and go
    for nice long walks and cook.

    To be honest I have not been
    well myself lately and I am
    not sure I can continue to work
    much longer because of health
    reasons.
    So I understand better
    that than you think about what
    you have been writing about.

    You as served your time in the
    workforce and now it is a time
    for you to do what you would like.

    best wishes
    love and hugs Sharon

    ReplyDelete